Found some tiger salamanders

sirnewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been a while since I have posted here. I have recently acquired three tiger salamanders from my father. They were found near a house foundation that was being built in Minneola Kansas. I got three if them and two are the normal black with yellow spots but one is very black. There are no spots on its back and very few spots in general. My question is. Do tiger salamanders gain yellow coloration during there first weeks/months after morphing? I wonder if it takes a while for the yellow to show up because the blacker one that I have looks more juvenile. It has a rounder head near the neck and when I added a water pool to the tank it sat under the water with only its nose above the surface

That's a good question, though i don't know the answer. I do know that in other species of Caudata and Anura that is the case - they gain coloration after metamorphosis, i just am not sure about this species specifically.
Any pictures?

I have found Spotted Salamanders alongside Tiger Salamanders. Could this be the case here? And by alongside, I am being quite literal. As has been mentioned, Pics would help greatly, perhaps with a size description and/or reference.

JBear

Update on these guys?

I recently was given a tiger 'mander and it was kept aquatically even as an adult with just a brick to climb up on.

When I first got him, he'd only sit in the water with his nose above the surface but then he realized I gave him lots of space to burrow and how he prefers to stay holed up in the "ground".
I wonder if your oddity could be the cannibal form?
I've not been able to find adequate pictures of the cannibalistic forms of larvae and adults compared to the non-cannabalistic forms.

Tiger sals do develop their yellow pattern slowly. One way to tell if they have a long way to go is to see how much pigment is present on the belly. The belly pattern forms last. Even the back pattern will change gradually in adults as they grow.

The less colorful one could be an Eastern Tiger, they don't really get very bright coloration on their backs. They also like to bury themselves like that too from my experience.

I'm also very interested in this, I recently acquired a larval tiger salamander (jabba) that is now in the final stages of metamorphosis and I'm wondering what color he will be.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back