Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

High pH

UnicornSlobber

Reaction score
Hello Caudata forum users!

I'm having trouble figuring something out. I can reassure you I have done research prior to posting and struggle to find the help and information specific to my situation.

My tap water's pH reads very high. Infact it looked like it was beyond that of what my API Freshwater Master Test Kit could read. According to my city's website they say the tap water's pH is between 9.6-9.8 which has raised concern for me. I assumed because my pH was so high I probably couldn't bring it down.

I conducted an experiment that proved against that. I added a little bit of API Proper pH 7.0 which brought it down significantly to a safe range. However, I've seen many cases of people saying that it is bad to even mess with the pH because slight fluctuations will cause more stress than a high pH. I don't know if anyone has experience with using this stuff with an axolotl or a high pH like mine.

I also know my tap water's kH is 5 and gH is 10. Someone started to recommend an acid buffer but then mentioned how it would also bring down my kH which is already fairly low.

Since I initially believed chemicals wouldn't bring down my pH I actually purchased a Liquagen 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis / Deionization Filter System which is in transit to my location. I'm assuming that using that will bring down the pH not even sure how much or if then I'll need to bring it up or something.

I'm just very lost about what to do about my high pH it's really the only factor that has me hesitating to proceed.

It's worth noting I do not have any Axolotls yet. I haven't even began cycling my tank and this is one of the things that is keeping me from starting because I really just don't know what to do.

Any advice or tips are heavily welcomed I'm just feeling overwhelmed about this and really want to find an axolotl-safe solution.

Tjebb

Reaction score
Hello Caudata forum users!

I'm having trouble figuring something out. I can reassure you I have done research prior to posting and struggle to find the help and information specific to my situation.

My tap water's pH reads very high. Infact it looked like it was beyond that of what my API Freshwater Master Test Kit could read. According to my city's website they say the tap water's pH is between 9.6-9.8 which has raised concern for me. I assumed because my pH was so high I probably couldn't bring it down.

I conducted an experiment that proved against that. I added a little bit of API Proper pH 7.0 which brought it down significantly to a safe range. However, I've seen many cases of people saying that it is bad to even mess with the pH because slight fluctuations will cause more stress than a high pH. I don't know if anyone has experience with using this stuff with an axolotl or a high pH like mine.

I also know my tap water's kH is 5 and gH is 10. Someone started to recommend an acid buffer but then mentioned how it would also bring down my kH which is already fairly low.

Since I initially believed chemicals wouldn't bring down my pH I actually purchased a Liquagen 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis / Deionization Filter System which is in transit to my location. I'm assuming that using that will bring down the pH not even sure how much or if then I'll need to bring it up or something.

I'm just very lost about what to do about my high pH it's really the only factor that has me hesitating to proceed.

It's worth noting I do not have any Axolotls yet. I haven't even began cycling my tank and this is one of the things that is keeping me from starting because I really just don't know what to do.

Any advice or tips are heavily welcomed I'm just feeling overwhelmed about this and really want to find an axolotl-safe solution.

Right now, it is okay to mess with the PH levels, since you don't have an axie in there yet. Once you do, only mess with it if it is over 8, really. If and when you do have to adjust it, try and stay away from chemicals. The chemicals are absorbed through their skin, and some can be seriously dangerous. So stick to the natural ways! Good luck!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I've never used reverse osmosis system so can't help with that but I can help with pH! The bottle additives wont maintain a constant pH. You'll have to add it every water change and it'll probably jump back up in the tank between water changes anyway.
The best method is to use either driftwood or indian almond leaves. They can darken the water a bit, though I haven't had that happen using indian almond leaves (lots of other people have). The leaves are also great for axolotls skin and will help against fungus.

UnicornSlobber

Reaction score
Right now, it is okay to mess with the PH levels, since you don't have an axie in there yet. Once you do, only mess with it if it is over 8, really. If and when you do have to adjust it, try and stay away from chemicals. The chemicals are absorbed through their skin, and some can be seriously dangerous. So stick to the natural ways! Good luck!

Thanks! I'll definitely avoid using chemicals (other than the typical water conditioner of course!) and see what I can make work. I really appreciate the response. :)

UnicornSlobber

Reaction score
I've never used reverse osmosis system so can't help with that but I can help with pH! The bottle additives wont maintain a constant pH. You'll have to add it every water change and it'll probably jump back up in the tank between water changes anyway.
The best method is to use either driftwood or indian almond leaves. They can darken the water a bit, though I haven't had that happen using indian almond leaves (lots of other people have). The leaves are also great for axolotls skin and will help against fungus.

I didn't even think about consistency being an issue or how adding conditioned water to a tank during water changes could probably mess with the balance of using chemicals.

I've heard about driftwood and the Indian almond leaves. Not a huge fan of the brown color from the tannins, but I've heard about people boiling them which may decrease that? In case my RO water is too low of a pH do you know any natural ways to bring it up by chance?

Giuseppe

Reaction score
I don't have experience with this personally but I believe crushed coral, dolomite chips, limestone, dried live rock or even baking soda can be used to increase PH and reintroduce minerals to the water. I also know API has a product called PH up for that purpose. I can't speak to the safety of any of these things with amphibians but hopefully that gives you a jumping off point for research!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!