The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion & News from Members Post won't fit elsewhere? Post here! This is also the ideal place for your own news, information on books, amphibians in the media, and off-topic posts.

Old 22nd November 2002   #1
steve

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I want to breed newts in captivity in the USA. Mainly newts that are hard to find. I want to do this because of the rareness and the high price when they are found. I have already started by hibernating some species this month. I'm Basically looking for anyone that wants to donate "pairs" of species for this expedition. I will offer money or trades if you wish. I'm basically open to any newt/sallie except for fire bellies (cynops o) that are found everywhere! (especially European origin genus because of popularity.)

I will , of course, share any morphs that happen from this. The first on the list will be people that helped me.

I have an entire basement that features air and heat(if needed), a personal/exclusive fridge for hibernation and numerous tanks for larvae and adults.

Email me any questions and if you want to help by trading/donating/selling pairs of adults.

Thanks in advance guys/gals.
Steve

Old 22nd November 2002   #2
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Steve,

That's certainly a noble endeavour. I think as soon as the USCR gets going *pokes Aaron in the ribs* you might find this easier, or at least there will be more potential participants.

All the best.

Old 22nd November 2002   #3
john_white

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What is USCR?

John

Old 22nd November 2002   #4
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi John,

Unfortunately I'm sworn to secrecy. I can't even tell you what the letters stand for or Aaron (and then Nate) will have my hide Click the image to open in full size..

I have to leave it to Aaron to answer that one.

All the best.

Old 22nd November 2002   #5
tj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hmmmm....lemme guess...U.S. Caudate Registry? U.S. Caudate Ranch? whatever it is, I would imagine our neighbors to the north might prefer to see it called NACR...

...which reminds me, what's the difference between Caudate and Caudata?

Tim

Old 22nd November 2002   #6
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm not 100% sure what USCR means, but it might be Unhappy Spouses in Crappy Relationships Click the image to open in full size..

Caudata is the taxonomical order within Class Amphibia. I personally don't use the term Caudate, but it seems to have passed into common usage amongst certain hobbyists. I would interpret Caudate in English to mean simply "tailed", but people use it to mean any salamander or newt.

John

Old 22nd November 2002   #7
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The problem with including Canada is that you still have to import newts and sals (or more conveniently referred to as Caudates, John :P }) to the US just like to Europe or Japan etc. As importing/collecting laws grow harsher here in the US, having cb species in Canada does not help the US situation, nor does having cb sals in the US help the Canadians.

Old 22nd November 2002   #8
rob

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well, I agree with you 100%. I'm in Canada but live RIGHT next door to Detroit MI (can see it from my front porch). So if you need any help setting something up let me know...but I understand the border problems...damn customs.

Tags
breeding, project, starting, usa

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 0 (Set)

There are no names to display.