Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Transporting Xenopus

K

killian

what would the best way of transporting Xenopus? should they be in a bag of water or in a moist box? how long can they live out of water? does this do any harm?

pollywog

Reaction score
It depends on how long they will be in transport and how they are being transported.
If they are being carried home from a shop then packaging them like fish in a bag of water would be the best choice.
If packaging them for delivery by post or a courier then a container filled with damp moss would be best.

K

killian

Thanks Andrew,

Would they be ok over night in a container of damp moss? they will be coming by delivery.

I have been told this is ok but would like to confirm first. Has anyone ever tried it before?
Killian

colin

Reaction score
Me too, they can easily handle it, but make sure the tub is well ventilated as plants use up Oxygen when its dark.

You could use damp kitchen roll

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
a transport with damp moss is possible for several days.
One time I got 4 small Xenopus muelleri packaged in cable binder closed wet socks in a video cassette cover.

Bye Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!