Xenopus Laevis

cloth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sarah(UK)
Can anyone tell me if female xenopus laevis spawn even if they havent been with a male? Obviously the eggs would be infertile.Do they need a male with them anyway to spawn?
Many thanks
Cloth

Yes they will lay eggs if they are alone in some cases. I have kept female ACF's by themselves and never saw eggs, but I have also seen solitary females lay infertile eggs at the peak of breeding season. Some simply don't lay and reabsorb the matter into their bodies, others lay them and then eat the eggs. It is not uncommon for the females to lay infertile eggs. There will be zillions of them, but they usually only mate/lay eggs once or twice a year.

Thanks Sarah thats exactly what I needed to know!

Many thanks
Cloth

You're welcome, always glad to help. I've been keeping ACF's for about 7 years on and off and have been breeding them for two years. There is precious little useful info about them floating around on the web so I always try to help where I can using the knowledge that I've gained through experience and talking with other ACF keepers.

love.gif

My two females almost almost spawn simultaneously when the water is cleaned after being dirty, and replaced with sluightly colder water.
Chris

hey, i happen to see this thread.. My ACf doesn't seem to be eating regularly as usual... seems like happen like months ago.. is there any problem?? or is it very usual?

Could you be a little more clear in your question? It sounds to me like you are asking if it is normal for your ACF to not be eating "regularly".

Define "regularly"... do you mean daily, weekly, monthly?

I usually only feed my ACF's every other day. They eat like hogs and it doesn't hurt them to skip a day or two on the feeding. They can and will sometimes go for long periods of time without eating and its alright just as long as the frog doesn't seem to be losing too much weight or gaining weight mysteriously.

Sarah

Hello,
it's normal for pipid frogs to have periods like this.
Perhaps seasons or other weather changes are starting this behaviour.

Bye Martin

(Message edited by MartinTruckenbrodt on August 06, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back