shanjing eggs

rigsby

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Ian Rigg
just found my first shanjing eggs ,she had laid them on damp moss ,not in the water,normal for these, looks like she's just started laying and could be laying all night,its nearly 10pm so i will be setting the alarm for "early" so they don't dry out if she refuses the water again..

Congratulations Ian. Hopefully they are viable and will do well for you. We can definitely use more captive breeding of this species in the US.
Chip

well chip the eggs are fertile so hopefully i'll have lots of little shans running about in a few months..

the first couple of eggs hatched last night and a couple of females started laying also. There had been a lot of mating activity over the last week possibly due to me raising the temp a couple of degrees ,both females decided to lay on damp moss and again give the shallow water a miss. All the mating took place on the moss as there was spermataphores dotted all over allthough a couple of males are now permanately in the water...

some photo's

Picture011-5.jpg

Picture008-5.jpg

Picture002-7.jpg

Really well done Ian! It's always great to see shanjing being bred in captivity.

They look great, Ian. I wish you continued success!

just an update..the first batch have now all hatched and the second batch are well on the way. They have all laid their eggs on moss rather than in the shallow water provided and i'm still getting eggs most days..

Brilliant news Ian

Hi Ian,

Firsts of all thanks for all the expert advice earlier this week and also the 'tour' of your managery!

Its obvious by the condition of all the species in your care that they are happy and that as you rightly said...if you give them what they need (Rather than what a carer wants) they will eat, breed and be happy.

Well done re the Emporor's!

Having seen them in the flesh and then subsequently showing the pics to the family....you can definately put us down for some when they are old enough!

Well done...keep up the good work...and my sincere admiration for your dedication and deserved success,

Cheers mate,

Mike Gent

the second batch are now well on the way to hatching..

Picture029-2.jpg

Picture026-2.jpg

Picture025-1.jpg

Thanks for the update-looking good!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back