Cynops fudingensis and orphicus

markusA

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I keep Cynops fudingensis and C. orphicus for some years and breed both now.
I was lucky to get wc specimens with locality data from a friend.
In C.orphicus this year I had the first larvae. I rescued some eggs from the "cannibalistic parents".
There is a habit in fudingensis breeders should pay attention to:
metamorphed juvies of fudingensis avoid the water and will starve to death but not go underwater to feed. After 1 or 2 years in autumn with rising temperatures the first youngsters entered the water again. Out of 100 metamorphs only one stayed in water from the beginning and grew very quick. I raise them in plastic boxes with 15cm water level and lots of plants and a cork island with moss and hiding bark on top. if the water is full of duck weed not so many feeder insects will drown. I feed micro crickets and Drosophila hylei, dusted regularly with mineral/vitamine powder.
snails in the water clean the water if some crickets fell in.

My guess, in orphicus it will be similiar regarding land phase. I will let you know soon.

pics of parents fudingensis, pay attention to the variability; and larvae on their "island" ,bark flipped.

Attachments

• parents_2014.jpg
    parents_2014.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • cynops_fudingensis_cb2013_b.JPG
    cynops_fudingensis_cb2013_b.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 791
Interesting post! The spotted adult reminds me of some C. pyrrhogaster that I've seen in the past.

It's nice to see someone breeding and keeping these species.

Stuart

Simply stunning animals. Very nice to see more pictures of this species.

Interesting post! The spotted adult reminds me of some C. pyrrhogaster that I've seen in the past.
I agree, it does look similar ( though I am sure it isn't a C. pyrrhogaster ).
Like these ones.
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/file_original-size-89.jpg
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/file_original-size-3916.jpg

Thanks for posting the info markusA, and for sharing the pictures. It is interesting to see how much their patterning and color varies....
-Seth

回复: Cynops fudingensis and orphicus

Hello,

Thanks for sharing, it's very interesting !

I got a H. fudingensis pair few years ago too, but I didn't have as much success as you and your 100 juveniles !

The female laid a few eggs in 2013 and 2014, most was unfertilized.
The two years, larvae growth was very slow, in comparison with other Hypselotriton/Cynops. I don't know if it's only mine or if it's the same for yours.

I keep the juveniles in a terrestrial setup : small boxes with a gravel slope and a few water, with few barks as hiding places. As you said, they avoid the water.
Food is the same than you, drosophila and micro crickets.
The 2013 juveniles returned to water this automn, at a 6 cm size (approximately one year after metamorphosis).

If you'll have H. orphicus available later, I think I would be interested :)

The C.fudingensis and orphicus are very interesting species and for all I know are not very common in the hobby.
Glad to know that there are people who raise them.

Very cool, didn't know these species were being kept. Keep us updated please and can we have some pics of the orphicus?

AW: Cynops fudingensis and orphicus

Thanks Markus for this very interesting Report - and congratulation!

Re: AW: Cynops fudingensis and orphicus

Good job! Those look great!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back