Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triggering verrucosus spawning

G

gord

My female Verrucosus look likes she will explode at any minute..yet there has been no sign of dancing yet this winter. They didn't really get into last year until May..but I'm wondering if a major water change and slightly warmer water would kick start them. They are at about 72-73 F right now (and were at 65-68 for a month or so). Would a spike in temp to mid 70s help?

Anyone have any tricks?

GE

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Bouncing the temp up and down sure does help. I do think it might be to early in the year for that. Mine usually don't breed till May also.
M.

B

ben

Mine are going mad right now seem to get a clutch every 7 days, i left mine cold (15-18c ambient room temp)for two months then raised the temp to 22c and within a week they had begun mating and then spawning.

Ben

G

gord

Looks like nature took its course. I had mass eggs when came home Thursday night.

It's day 3 and no sign of fuzz yet...but I'm still not getting my hope super high. I'll keep you posted.

GE

G

gord

Sorry for the huge lag between posts. Perhaps I was a bit depressed at my lack of success. Despite my best efforts, the eggs were all duds. They seemed good..and didn't fuzz out, but most never really developed.Some looked like they were, but then stalled. Soon they just started to shrink or get eaten by snails. I had some in different tanks and in different situations, from sterile to fully weeded, just to see. None hatched out.

The eggs left in the main tank were eaten by the newts! I could see them hunting.

My newts are still super fat, healthy, and look ready to lay more, but perhaps it's not in the cards to have fertile eggs.

Anyway..that's my report.

GE

R

richard

Too bad. Maybe they will lay some more this year. What are you planning to do with the juvies? 2nd generation breeding?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1