Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding springtails to the terrarium

Reaction score
I was wondering about adding springtails directly into the terrarium. It has lots of leaf litter and soil collected from the forest. I didn't see any springtails in it while I was gathering. I have a few containers of it also hoping they will breed if there are any in there. I still have Notophthalmus Viridescens hatching now so it will be a while before they are ready to go into the terrarium anyways. If my containers don't work I will have to buy a culture online. If I add it directly to my terrarium will they breed and continue to provide food??? And how long before I add the efts should I add the springtails?? Also, where is your favorite and cheapest place to buy springtails cultures online??? I want to make sure I have all my bases covered for the hungry babies. Thanks.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I recommend setting up the habitats you intend to raise your newt babies in now, including seeding them with springtails and isopods (like rolly pollies). These critters should continue to reproduce as long as you provide for their needs, but I also recommend maintaining a "mother culture" in a container you will not add newts to, so you have a backup culture in case anything should happen where you need to re-seed the newt's habitat.

Hope this helps and best of luck raising your little ones!

HJ

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,

If you have collected leaf litter and kept it a bit wet, then you probably already have springtails.
There are sevral species of springtails and only species living deep in the soil are white. A lot of surface species of springtails are greyish, brownish or spotted and are not easily seen unless they move.

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for your replies. I have already been putting tons of isopods in there that I've collected from outside. I try to collect what I can from under flower pots every night and add them. I will keep doing so and will also get a springtail culture and add it asap. I know I have accidentally had springtails in my parentire cage before from putting leaves in there so hopefully one of my 4 containers I filled from the woods will have some. I didn't know they were others xolors, I was just looking for white when I collected my leaf litter.

McCann

Reaction score
I usually set up my enclosures for a bit of time to help the springtails and isopods settle in and establish. Once they get going, they really do well if you simply keep humidity up with some leaf litter. Arcadia also do a pellet feed for clean up crews too. I use it and it seems to have boosted my springtail numbers dramatically. There are probably cheaper alternatives such as grains of dried rice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!