Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Peeling" skin

J

john

G'day all.

Over the last couple of days, my black axie has started to 'shed' its skin. She is floating a little bit more that usual too.

I use water conditioner and the pH is right, any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

John

J

john

Anyone out there know's what is going on?

Its getting pretty bad. Its all peeling off all over her body.

Maybe I should use head and shoulders on her, give her a harsh exfoliating!! (only joking- I love axies too)

Any advice will be more that appreciated.

checked water levels again and still good.

S

stewart

I have noteced that when they have not been feed for a week they tend to shed skin. One feed of crickets ususly clears it up

L

lizzy

My axie shed his slime covering about two weeks ago,his tank partner didn't so i assumed the water was fine,he seems fine now is eating and redeveloping his slime coat.So unless he goes right off his feed and is really deteriorating i don't think you should stress too much.

S

sarah

LOL john...
axies do shed their skin. one of mine just finished shedding.

J

john

Oh thank you. I've never seen an axie 'shed'. I let you know how she progresses. Similar to Lizzy, her tank partner has no apparent ailments, so hopefully it's just a shedding thing!

Thanks for all of your advice.

John

A

anna

what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels like? My first axie peeled badly and died not long after and I found out it was ammonia burn that caused it cause my supposedly well cycled tank decided to stuff up big time. (was definately cycled as I had had it running for at least half a yr with fish). Dont want to scare you or ne thing but if you havent done it already, you might want to test for those 3 things.

S

sarah

if it was ammonia its partner in the tank will have the skin peeling aswell. But its best to keep an eye on the other axie aswell for any changes.

J

john

Aaah! I just fed her, and as she bolted down her food about 3/4 of her dead skin fell off. she is much more asthetically pleasing to look at now!

Her tank-mate doesn't seem bothered at all, all his skin is on, he must take pride in his appearance!

Does any one know what the life expectancy of a new coat is? Do they shed seasonaly or just at random?

Thanks for all your help again.

John

S

sarah

well one of mine has shedded twice already in the 8 month period of having him.
the other has not at all since i had it, ive had him for about 4 months.
its just when ever i suppose, something must trigger it off tho.

(Message edited by DVSGAL on August 03, 2006)

C

cynthia

I have never heard of axolotls "shedding their skin" unless their skin was damaged by poor water conditions, or adding the wrong or too many chemicals to the aquarium.

Always check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and temp. at the first signs of problems with your axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1