Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moths for Supper ???

S

ste

Please help !!

Amos has just eaten a Moth that flew into his tank , he seems fine just swimming around quite happily but I'm worried that he may have eaten something that he shouldn't ....... does anyone know if this is bad ??

Amos is my Axie btw ...

J

jennifer

I really wouldn't worry. Axolotls are salamanders, and it is normal for sals to eat all sorts of insects in the wild. Some people even catch bugs using a bright light at night, and feed these bugs to their sals. I've never heard of anyone avoiding moths as salamander food. Even spiders, which are toxic, are considered good sal food.

S

ste

Pheeeeww !!! Thanks for that Jennifer , you've put my mind at ease and also provided me with another food source for my little man !!

Ste

M

mary

hi- a moth landed in our tank once when our wee guys were just babes- i wondered what all the splashing and craziness was in the tank til i saw what was flapping on the surface! i took it out coz they were tiny. my hubbie stupidly fed one of them a cockroach when it was tiny- the thing was way too hard and was regurgitated!

C

clinton

A roach would be quite difficult to digest i imagine, as we all know roaches are indestructible
frog.gif

E

edward

Roaches are routinely used a food sources for a large number of amphibiand and reptiles regardless of how indestructiable they are...
Just use cultured ones to make sure they haven't been exposed to pesticides.

Ed

(Message edited by ed on July 05, 2006)

L

lorie

Ok well my axie just ate an earwig...they have claws. That cant be good food?

S

ste

Good grief , they will eat anything wont they ???? or at least try to : )

L

lexie

Mine snaps all over my hand and everywhere BUT the worm I'm trying to feed him. Not the brightest crayon in the box. He eats plants if they're moving too much. hhehehe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1