Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl eggs - Very exciting.

JoeyEnglish

Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently received 20 eggs from a lovely breeder.

Can you please read my current set up and tell me if I can do more?

So far;

a. put three "furry" looking ones into a separate container - as I was concerned they were dead, they look dead. I looked at them under a mantas magnification tool. Should I "flush" these or wait?

b. the two premature hatching (none have hatched naturally; two eggs were damaged - I assume when the breeder posted them) ones are in a mini tank with daphnia to munch - I've seen no sign of eating. Both move. One has gills and looks to be the right way up.
The second is bent, no gills, is on its side and looks deformed; Should I remove this?

c. all eggs are in a shallow glass container and are checked on via a stop frame animation app. Plenty of whizzing about in their eggs, some look like mini axolotl and some don't. I note some don't move; should I remove these? The stop frame allows me to see their action and I had it on for 16 hours.

I change the water every day as there is no filtration etc.

The main aim is to rehome some and keep 2 in my 180ltr bow front tank. This is being cycled at the moment. Its not for money making, I just LOVE animals. Lots of fake plants and caves etc. The bottom has slate tiles, no sand (I hate sand) and pebbles.

Some eggs are from two white/ leucistic parents but these don't seem as strong and healthy as the other eggs - is this normal?

The breeder gave me some wild type eggs, they are light brown. These look like they are growing well. Although I personally prefer the lecistic adults - its their eyes. They are beautiful. :p

I am open to any feedback, tell me I am doing everything wrong if need be! I just want to make sure the axolotl have the best start in life.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place to get the information your looking for!

Sounds like your doing a great job so far.

A. Separating any eggs that look fuzzy or cloudy is correct, they may be dead.

B.If eggs hatch too early they may be underdeveloped in which case they wont have much chance of being able to eat or grow. It can happen that eggs get damaged mainly when being detached from ornaments and plants in the tank. Keep an eye on them, they probably wont make it.

C.Change the containers water with dechlorinated water. Those that don't have the shape of a hatchling Axolotl may have genetic issues so naturally will not make it. If some don't move it depends whether they have developed correctly or not, if they don't look properly developed then they probably will not survive.

Normal wildtype eggs are dark brown in colour. I think its just down to luck with the batches of eggs laid genetically and then factors of postage and handling which contribute to the eggs surviving to hatch.

Your tank setup sounds good, I presume you test you water parameters with a liquid test kit to monitor the cycle?

Check this link for a details on embryo growth: Axolotls - Embryo Photo Log

Check this link for rearing: Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult
(This link gives information on the best way to rear Axolotls from eggs to juveniles)

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander is the best place to start.

JoeyEnglish

Reaction score
Thank you for the swift reply.

I will keep a close eye on my premature hatchlings; I hope they will make it but its nice to know that if they don't it was out of my hands.

I will get a water testing kit asap. So far I have 2 dwarf puffers in a small tank which are messy so I clean them out twice a week 25%. I also have two rescue musk turtles which live with two sharks, and some fish; this has been the case for 18 months and they are officially tank mates. Nothing has been injured of eaten! I check the PH but I should read up on other levels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1