Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

29 gallon axolotl set-up

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Its been many months in the process but my 29 gallon aquarium is officially set up and newly decorated with river rocks from my area ( sanitized of course ) and a beautiful array of assorted plastic plants ( i'm horrible with live ones :uhoh: )

My 6 month old albino axolotl Storm and my 4 month old wild type axolotl Charles are just loving their new home and all the space that they have now that Charles siblings have moved into the 50 gallon aquarium ( pictures will be uploaded once that one is completely decorated! ) The two of them spend all day exploring the rocks and climbing up and down the plants.

This tank is a major improvement from Storms old home. Storm had been shuffled around from owner to owner for a few weeks and finally landed in a pet store where he was kept in a heated tank with huge amounts of water flow and completely under fed when i found him and brought him home. Charles on the other hand had been living in a cup! needless to say they are much happier now, their gills are growing back in full, and storm is bulking up quite nicely. The two tank mates get along quite well and I could not be happier :happy:

Let me know what you think of their set up!

Attachments

• IMG_20160804_171311[1].jpg
    IMG_20160804_171311[1].jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,172

Donna001

Reaction score
Great tank, and also fantastic news that Storm and Charles are doing so well. Congratulations. :happy:

brightstar34

Reaction score
Very nice tank! When I get a 55 I hope mine looks as nice as yours! Im suprised an axolotl could survive in a cup! How long was he living in that?

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
Oh thank you so much! I'm working on decorating my 50 gallon tank now, I just need to go rock hunting for the perfect rocks to create caves and hides. I love the way red marble river rocks look with my white sand. :happy:

The store I got my axis from said they did water changes twice a day on each cup, and they were all healthy. I'm not sure how long they keep the axolotls in the cups, the biggest one I've seen was 3 inches inside one... its good water conditions but it is terribly small and I imagine it was uncomfortable for the axolotl.

brightstar34

Reaction score
That will look great with white sand. Im probably going to just keep this tank with an empty bottom. Im going to be looking more for white rock hideouts, a bubbler, and maybe some blue or green plants. Aww poor things even though it was small at least they were all healthy. Hopefully they will all find good homes.

MarieKarma1311

Reaction score
I will make sure to post photos of my other tank once it is completely set up to my liking. :p

and I have taken 4 of their axis home with me so far so I know at least a handful has gotten a good home :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1