Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Meet Haku and Chihiro!

Maple128

Reaction score
So, finally got my juvenile's home yesterday! a wild type(Chihiro) and a leucistic (Haku) Poor Haku is missing all of his feet and Chihiro is missing a few too, the poor breeder lady didn't realize at first that these guys can be cannibalistic, whoops, at least they grow back. anyways picture time!
img_1845_1__by_maplefeather-d9y1puw.jpg

img_1840_1__by_maplefeather-d9y1pxq.jpg

will be calling "he" untill they can be sexed

Donna001

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting Chihiro and Haku. :happy:
Regardless of their missing bits and pieces they are adorable. Please keep us updated on their progress as it would be lovely to see them grow up, regenerate their toes, etc.
Best of luck with your little ones, I hope they settle in well and that you are all very happy. :D

KillerKueen

Reaction score
Chihiro is beautiful! If they ever breed let me know, I would just love to have a wild type like him! By the way, what does Chihiro mean?

Maple128

Reaction score
tanks you <3 Sadly, even if they did turn out male and female then i wouldn't be able to send live axolotls over the border haha, do not think customs would like that. Also name meanings, the names are from a favorite pair of characters from an animation (spirited away) Chihiro means "A thousand fathoms" from what i've read. And Haku has a few different meanings, but one of them is white, and my Haku is white so it fits :D (both are japanese)

KillerKueen

Reaction score
tanks you <3 Sadly, even if they did turn out male and female then i wouldn't be able to send live axolotls over the border haha, do not think customs would like that. Also name meanings, the names are from a favorite pair of characters from an animation (spirited away) Chihiro means "A thousand fathoms" from what i've read. And Haku has a few different meanings, but one of them is white, and my Haku is white so it fits :D (both are japanese)

So that's where it's from! I love that movie I knew those names sounded familiar. Those are just adorable names for axolotl! :D

Maple128

Reaction score
Quick update! i swear in the 2-3 weeks i've had them they've both grown about half an inch, and the eat like little piggies, lol. Finally have their 29 gal up and running to cycle it, might get a few feeder guppies to do a fish in cycle, but on the fence about it.

image_by_maplefeather-da0b65s.jpg

Donna001

Reaction score
They do seem to grow quite quickly, don't they. It's lovely to watch them grow up. :happy:
I would suggest a fishless cycle, which I've done for all of my tanks.

Maple128

Reaction score
An update on these two stinkers! There both doing very well, both of them have reached the 7" mark and looking very good. There pretty much off blood worms now and are night crawlers (the Canadian kind, so there big) and a couple of different pellets (shrimp, frog, newt, just for variety) will post a picture in a day or so,!

Maple128

Reaction score
image_by_maplefeather-dacpvnd.jpg

image_by_maplefeather-dacpvjt.jpg

image_by_maplefeather-dacpvf1.jpg

image_by_maplefeather-dacpvc4.jpg

whoo! sorry if the tank looks a little messy, this was just before my water change and i figured i should take the pictures before I messed with stuff. Haku (lusistic) tends to be a little harder to photograph the Chihiro (WT) they tend to hide a little more, i was hoping they would both be boys, and its still a little early to tell i think (i'm guessing their around 7 months old) but i suspect the Haku is female and Chihiro is male, oh well.

for the decorations, i made a few of them! the rock structure was made from a few neat rocks i found, then silicone together and left to cure for literally 3 weeks before i could put it in. the wood was a large piece of drift wood that i found and liked but didn't know what to with, then i realized i could drill out the middle to make a hidey log! its literally one of my favourite parts of the tank. i still feel like i need to invest in a few more moss balls, just cause they look cute

Maple128

Reaction score
Well here's another, very overdue update.

Haku and Chihiro are both now 10 months old and look pretty awesome, their both at around the 8 in mark and now i'm not sure if they'll grow much large than where they are now at this point,
i begin to suspect more and more that Chihiro is a dude and Haku is a girl, bit who knows if anyone will surprise me.

these two are piggies and are eating full Canadian earth worms every second day, and they devour them in honest 10 seconds flat, they waste no time. They're funny in the way that they like to hang out as close to me as they can along the tank, if i'm at my desk, their as close as they can get to me, if i'm at my chair, their staring at me right at the front of the glass, quite funny.

Pictures!
img_2988_1__by_maplefeather-dapk1oz.jpg

img_2987_1__by_maplefeather-dapk1pz.jpg

here are the stinkers themselves and here's their tank, sorry if you cant ese much, i was having a hard time getting a good pic

img_2899_1__by_maplefeather-dapk2bv.jpg

so yeah! enjoy <3

MUTT

Reaction score
Awesome names and tank! It's lovely to watch them grow up. My Ollin is super small and I'm eager to watch him grow but I'll enjoy his babyhood while it lasts!

Maple128

Reaction score
Well than. Another interesting update for everyone, so yup, chihiro was a guy, Haku was a girl andddd I got eggs. I ended up freezing the majority of them, but for curiosities sake I kept two. Well that was a month and a half ago, and I've now got two little one inch axie bbys who are staring to take bloodworms from me. It's been quite the neat experience raising these two. Anyways just a quick update from me!

Biev

Reaction score

The name Chihiro can have different meanings, but the kanjii for "thousand" and "fathom" together mean "bottomless", or some tremendous depth : )

Congratulations on the little ones!

Maple128

Reaction score
thanks you two! Unfortunately I went on vacation with my family for 5 days and while i was away the two babies passed away , which was disappointing and i had better hopes, but not much I can do. The pet sitter tried their best. Oh well, ill try again next batch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1