Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bleeding gill & not eating

Lynzi

Reaction score
Well nai live, I appreciate your response but it's not really any help.

How do I get the nitrate down? I realize it's high that's why I posted my first post 2 weeks ago.

I have been told not to use any chemicals as axi's are sensitive. I have done multiple water changes and everything else is better except for the nitrate it's not getting any better.

I have been using ice packs and the water temp has been around 19 which has never bothered him before even though it's on the higher end.

He ate a few pellets yesterday so I hope he doesn't die, but he's not himself, won't take a worm which is usually his favourite and I feel he won't really get back to normal until I get the nitrate back in check!

My local fish stores know little about axolotls so I was hoping to get some advice here.

Lynzi

Reaction score
EggandSausge thank you for all your help, I'm so glad your axolotl has eaten something, make sure you let me know how he's doing!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Well nai live, I appreciate your response but it's not really any help.

How do I get the nitrate down? I realize it's high that's why I posted my first post 2 weeks ago.

I have been told not to use any chemicals as axi's are sensitive. I have done multiple water changes and everything else is better except for the nitrate it's not getting any better.

I have been using ice packs and the water temp has been around 19 which has never bothered him before even though it's on the higher end.

He ate a few pellets yesterday so I hope he doesn't die, but he's not himself, won't take a worm which is usually his favourite and I feel he won't really get back to normal until I get the nitrate back in check!

My local fish stores know little about axolotls so I was hoping to get some advice here.
Nitrates are removed by water changes, plants or using a product like purigen in the filter.

xxianxx

Reaction score
My axie now has columnarius. I am going to stick him into my fridge and give him a few salt baths because I need to get my supplies.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Columnaris or fungus ? Treatments the same but both are often associated with substandard care, they can be a symptom rather than the initial problem. New keepers often don't appreciate how important following basic care requirements are, axolotls are hardy animals but die fast if not cared for correctly.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello Lynzi!

My axies arnt good. My axie eats kinda...(in small portions). My axie developed a infection called columnaris which is caused from stress(that's from the temp.). I am getting a chiller. I used $209.89 from my end of school gift. I am going to stick my axie in the fridge for about a week and a half. I will also be doing salt baths. My other axie, Sausage is doing fine except I think he's infected too because the infection is contagious. My Eggy is skinny but eats some things. My tank is fine except I need to do a water change to get rid of some bad bacteria. To help you, I used a ton of chemicals but HALF the portions since axies are sensitive. You can use Seachum Prime which gets rid of nitrates(use about 75% of the Actual amout(Just eye it ) or half so it dosnt hurt your axie) and removes ammonia, nitrites, and declorinates water. Oh, also, here in California, it's getting cooler this week. My tank is still at 70F which is high. I am using ice bottles, a aquarium fan, and soon to be chiller. Also, where did you buy your axie? I really really recommend calling Seirra Aquatics(its in reno,Nevada) and it's where I got my axies. They have AWESOME information about axies. Their store may be a little cramped but they have a ton of knowledge about axies.Oh also, one of their employs know a ton about axies but yelled at me today and 4 days ago because my axies were sick and he was disappointed in me for letting me just sit there waiting for them to die( I think his names Danny or something with a d. Don't talk to him. Ask for the guy name Samuel iif you call. He's nice and has a lot of info).They helped me with my problems. That's how I am helping you because they have great ways on how to treat your axie. They can be reached at (775-825-4215). Oh oops, I just realized you live somewhere in Europe...Idk if that number will work. Well, if you want to call them, type in Seirra Aquatics Reno, Nevada and google has a little phone symbol in the description of the store. Press the button and you'll call them!. Also, I realized my axie isn't eating because of a lot of chemiicals. My axies are doing ok. Sorry, going back to a few of my comments... fridging will help your axie not loose weight as fast and heals your axie. Also, you said your axie had a red bump?(I forgot and I can't see other comments) the red bump could be a clog of something in that axie. I was reading about diseases and infections on Axolotl.org. They have good stuff on there too. Sorry this is super long. I didn't mean for it to be like an essay. Well, I am off to check my temp in the fridge to see if the temp is ok for my axie.Text ya once my axie is in his box. Here's a current pic of my axies. They don't look good. Sorry that they look sick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 217

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Axolotls - Health & Diseases

Columnaris or fungus ? Treatments the same but both are often associated with substandard care, they can be a symptom rather than the initial problem. New keepers often don't appreciate how important following basic care requirements are, axolotls are hardy animals but die fast if not cared for correctly.

Uh? I am only 13 years old! I spent about over 350 dollars US on that oneAxolotl and I am a new owner. It's been over a hundred degrees over here! Especially with like a 80F bulb for my brother chameleon in the same room. I love my animals. I spent over an entire 5 days all day checking and helping my axie out. And it is columnairs staring to form. It happened overnight yesterday. Caught it early. If my axie dies, I would be sad but not guilty. I used up all my money I have saved from 7 years. I try as hard as I can to fit my animals needs. My axies take up like 100 dollars on our family electricity bill. For a new owner, I think I am doing as much as I can right now with a limited amount of things I can do. I spend almost all my hours reasearching new things I can do with my pets to help them. 8 pets are hard to maintain all at one time! Thanks anyways. And are you referring me to me as a new owner cause I am one. Thanks anyways :angry: Btw the last sentence isn't true and tics new axolotl owners off.

Last edited:

xxianxx

Reaction score
And are you referring me to me as a new owner cause I am one. Thanks anyways :angry: Btw the last sentence isn't true and tics new axolotl owners off.

Yes I'm calling you a new owner, my statement stands as correct. You can take my advice or not , I don't care, I won't be providing you anymore

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
There was no advice. More information from you is a repeat of what I already know. At least I am trying to find the correct way to help my Axolotl instead of "your typical new Axolotl owner" . Ps. Why are you so mean? I am just a kid who's trying to keep my axie cold because the weather here was hot. It's the weathers fault my axie is infected. It was really rude of you to make a judgement like that especially to people who try to help their axies on here and even help others out like I AM because most of these 100 Something veiws are probably all Axolotl owners who are trying to get help. Unlike all these other viewers, I actually did some reasearch and tried to help this person with exact same problem as mine.

As Mary Roache says "Whaaaatever"(American Idol Refrence)

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello again,

Sorry nai live for arguing with you even though you criticized, harassed, and said mean things online. Anyways, I looked into even more things. My Axolotl is not suffering from colmnaris, but from heat stress. I pu him in e fridge and check on him every hour so the fridge gets a little warmer because it's too cold by 2 degrees F and because I am worried. Today is his first day in there. He is skinny. I also got a mini fridge just for my axie to put him in of course. I am not giving salt baths because I looked on aceslittlewonders.com and saw an article about heat stress. Tell me how your axie is doing. Mine is getting better but hasn't really eaten since the last time I messaged you. There is over 200 veiws! It might be because of the arguments with nai. Nai, can you please take down the negative reputation block? I also texted John, the founder of Caudata about the mean things you said even though I was trying to be nice. Everyone who's reading this, I will be making a guide to how to treat heat stress. See ya!

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Long time no see. Today my Axolotl passed after not eating for 21 days. I am giving him a furneral. I miss him already. Eggs friend is sad too. I am planning a furneral.

Lynzi

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your axolotl passing away! Mine is still being a bit weird and not acting his usual self. I got the treatment for his tank that you suggested and the nitrate is coming down and he has started eating worms again, but he has only taken 2 worms this week. It's better than when he wasn't eating at all.

How was your funeral? It's so nice you care so much.

How is your other axi? I hope he's doing well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!