Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Plants, lights and substrate questions

gilbertj77080

Reaction score
New owner here, so sorry if this question has been asked 100 times. getting my 1st axol and rather do it right the first time than fix mistakes afterwards. i have a 40 gall breeder tank. want to have sand on the bottom and underwater plants in it as well. so i will need light for the plants. i have read that play sand or pool filter sand is ok to use for both plant substrate and for axol. i heard the axol do not like alot of light since they have no eyelids, so i will have a few caves/cover for them to hang in. question is what plants can go completely underwater and what light can i use that is strong enough to grow plants but not strong enough to hurt my axol? will also have a HOB filter and a splash pad for return water to hit so not to cause a big current.
thanks in advance for any help.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
This link should answer all your questions about setups https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml
Scroll down a bit for plants.
I use play sand as my substrate. I've had the most success with java ferns, which don't need to be planted. I've also had anubias, hairgrass, lilaeopsis and banana lillies. And moss balls! In addition to hides I also have a spare strip of tank backing (the plastic background you can stick to the outside of tanks) that sits on the tank cover under the light so it blocks a lot of it, but I can adjust so any plants are getting some light.
As for the light I use an LED. Someone who knows more about lights can probably help more, but it seems to be fine for my tank. I also use the same LED light on my planted (soon to be betta) tank and the plants are growing really well.
Hope that helps :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1