Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia Rising

clofuller

Reaction score
Hi I recently did a project of using silicone to stick gravel to the bottom of my tank. I also made a diy hide using stones and silicone on a Tupperware container. It’s all been set up but my ammonia readings are slowly creeping up. Over the past few days it has gone from 0 to 0.05. I’m wondering if it’s anythhung to do with the silicone. It’s 100% silicone and it says suitable for aquariums. The aquarium also went very cloudy for a while but has started to settle. What are some ways I can lower it and what else could it be? My pH is at about 7.5

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Hey! The mods might merge this with your other thread which could be easier to track for you. I will answer in the meantime :)
Since it is cycling the ammonia going up is fine, just keep the axie out. I don't think it would have been the silicone. I've used it many times without issue. I'd love to see a pic of the DIY projects!
The cloudy water would have been a bacterial bloom which is perfectly normal for a new tank. The ammonia will lower itself as it cycles so you don't need to add anything. What dechlorinator are you using?

clofuller

Reaction score
Hi thanks for replying :) I’m using Prime concentrated conditioner for marine and freshwater. I also have the neutral regulator because I had a pH problem in the past but I’m not 100% sure how axolotls react to this. How long do you think it will take for my tank to finish cycling? Also I would love to share some pics but I’m still figuring out how to...

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Prime is great as a dechlorinator, I use it as well. It can throw ammonia results though, so try not to test the water until at least a day after a water change.
pH isn't a big deal with axolotls, anywhere from 6.5-8 is fine. I would advise against using any bottled pH adjusters as axolotl skin absorbs everything. Crushed coral helps raise pH and indian almond leaves can lower pH. These are great alternatives if you do need to adjust it.
Cycling can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to months. Higher temps and little/no water changes will cycle it faster, as long as there is no animal in there. Live plants and filter media/decorations from a cycled tank can also make it cycle faster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!