Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREY TIGER SALLIE

B

billie

I adopted my 2nd tiger last night and I am looking for the natural info on the Grey Tiger salamander "Ambystoma tigrinum diaboli". THIS GUY IS HUGE!!! I have never seen a salamander this big before. THe other tiger sallie I have, is a blotched tiger and is half the size but around same age.. This new tiger is a bland olive color but has NO strips on back at all. ONLY a few bands on belly flanks. and VERY tiny spots on tail. ANY information on this critter is VERY WELCOMED.

THANKS,
Billie

N

nate

Billie, grey tiger sals are no longer A. t. diaboli. A. mavortium has been seperated from A. tigrinum, and diaboli is now A. mavortium diaboli.
In any event, the care is identical for all of them.

S

steve

hey nate , was all the tiger names changed?

list i have:

Ambystoma tigrinum melanostictum
Ambystoma tigrinum diaboli
Ambystoma tigrinum mavortium
Ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum
Ambystoma tigrinum nebulosum
Ambystoma tigrinum stebbinsi

steve

B

billie

Ok I'm confused, I have spent alot of time trying to learn these Sci names and they go and change it on me. FINE. Common names are easier to pronounce any how... ARE these separate species or still subspecies of Tiger salamanders?

Billie

J

john

Everything is Ambystoma mavortium xxxxx except for the following (as far as I can recall):

<UL><LI>Mexican Tiger species (I think there is more than one?) - these are now mostly full species, such as Ambystoma valasci. <LI>The California Tiger Salamander - Ambystoma californiense. <LI>The Eastern Tiger Salamander - Ambystoma tigrinum (now the only tigrinum).</LI>[/list]

N

nate

Right, all the old tigrinum subspecies are now subspecies of mavortium, that's all.

S

steve

why did they seperate the eastern. It looks the same as arizona, well at least that's the problem Im having identify. Where do you guys get this info?

N

nate

The info comes from science journals. A. tigirinum and A. mavortium were seperated due to molecular and geographic data. Though many salamanders superficially look the same, even having very similar color patterns, on a molecular/genetic level they can be highly differentiated. In the case of tiger salamanders, they were different enough to be seperate species.

So for salamanders, looks often mean nothing. You'll never know for sure what your tiger is unless you know for a fact where it was collected, that's just the breaks.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!