Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Trapping Sal Larvae

thera

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Any tips on trapping sal larvae? Please give details if you've done it before. This is for a summer research project at the school.

N

nimbus2

Minnow traps work best, no need to bait them either really. I've caught Ambystoma larvae, sirens, Necturus, and adult Notophthalmus using them.

thera

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Oops. Forgot. I don't just want to catch SOME larvae. I needs lots. It's a biological survey. I need as many as possible. (to be released post survey of coarse)

N

nimbus2

Seining can be difficult depending on pond depth and bottom debris. If the pond is shallow enough, get in there with some chest-waders and a net.

al

Reaction score
Does sampling require you catch lots? I thought sampling is done according to your method and caculated increase or decline in comparison to what ever you're measuring.
You could do samplings with just a dip net. Have a method (1 swipe covers 2-3 ft. of pond bottom with leaf matter), then count larva. keep them in a bucket, then do another area of the pond. Do so many "swipes" per square yards of pond (length x width x depth).
Try to pick the method that is reproducable (with less varience or error) and is less labor intensive.
It also depends on what your measuring. Season to season population changes with in ponds versus geographical analysis between ponds.
BTW...I envy you
happy.gif
I wish I was back in school!!! Sludging through ponds
happy.gif
...actually researching the very thing I enjoy (hobby).
Thera what ever you decide to do, take pics and have a blast!
happy.gif

Keep us posted too (after you publish of course). It's sounds very interesting.

Al

thera

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Oh not only will there be photos, there will be a CC article on my research.

I only have some seining nets and minnow traps right now available to me. And a canoe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!