Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this Lump in the throat of my newts?

ravenous

Reaction score
For those who know, Ive been raising MAA for awhile now. I had 6 as of 1 week ago, but in that span 2 have died while trying to morph, i have no idea why.

In 2 others that are close to complete morphing theyve developed a lump in their throat that they create themselves. Almost like a frog, just with more of a point; it looks like a broken bone. But when theyre out of the water or surfacing there is no lump. It appears only when theyre underwater and I assume are holding extra air in that pocket. Ive looked on the FAQs and articles here but have seen no mention of these lumps. Heres some pics so yous guys can see what Im talking about.

What the hell is it?

Attachments

• smallP8290015.JPG
    smallP8290015.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 586
  • smallP8290016.JPG
    smallP8290016.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 641

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That looks pretty normal to me. They do that once in a while, especially on land. It's called buccal-pharyngial respiration. I don't know why they do it underwater.

ravenous

Reaction score
Yea Ive seen my others do it once in a great while. These 2 have it ALLLLLL the time. It looks pretty damn ugly.

eldaldo

Reaction score
you might want to watch it if they have it ALLLLL the time. I once had a C.o. that had the lump literally all the time (it never went down) and it died in a couple of days. I don't know if the lump was the cause of its death or a symptom of the cause, but I doubt that it was good for it.

Since then, I always get scared when I notice one of my newts like that for a while. I have watched a newt who has the "lump" for a couple minutes, but it has always gone down after a while and then they look normal.

ravenous

Reaction score
Yea its never going down for these guys, only when theyre out of the water. They even have it when they eat. If you look closely, the skin where they have the lump is faded and more white, its not yellow like the rest of the body.

Bieng unable to find info on this makes it seem like Im the only one whos ever experienced this. They havent had it their whole life, just as they started to morph and lose their feathers. Goddamn it Im tired of these things dying, I hope I dont lose 2 more.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is strange. I've never seen anything like it. It doesn't look normal, but I have no idea what it might be. Do they eat? Did the 2 that died have this?

jshadowstalker

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had 3 paramesotriton chinensis that lived togher happily for 6 months ...then 1 day i noticed 1 with that same lump under its throat. long story short it died a week later, then the others got it. while waiting to ask mr. shrom about it i used a little aquarium salt and with in 2 days the swelling went down. now i keep a little salt in there tank all the time and they have been fine for the last 6 weeks.hope that might help should not hurt.

ravenous

Reaction score
I should state that 1 has had the lump for about a month and the other has had it for 2-3 weeks already. It also doesnt look fat like a frogs throat, but like a finger trying to pierce through a flat balloon.... yea ugly.

The 2 that died never had a lump and looked fine.
The 2 without the lump have not caught it if contagious and have never had a lump
The 2 with the lump got it as soon as their feather dissapeared, but not completlley morphed. One has morhped and kept the lump, the last one will morph soon.

The also eat just fine, they dont struggle or anything. The lump is still there as they swallow food.

So Jody I should add salt, how much for a ten gallon? I dont have aquarium salt but Im guessing regular table salt wont work?

I dont know what to do but Im real pissed at this. Should I seperate them or the fact theyve had it for a month mean something else? Im thinking of pulling them out and keeping them in another tank with an inch of water for awhile just to see what happens.

Edit*** As I finished posting this I saw one come out compltley on land and of course the lump is still there. So I was wrong, the lump never goes away.....

ravenous

Reaction score
I am astounded that no one has seen much of this and dont know what is wrong or what can be done. Though this problem seems dead in the water with little info on the subject known or forthcoming; I suppose I should add one last photo for reference. Its a beautiful shot.

Id like to add that if anyone in the future finds out anything on this condition, please let me know.

ravenous

Reaction score
Well the one on the left died. However he seemed to get bloat suddenly and a red bubble started emmitting from his mouth, looked like he was turning inside out. He had the lump for over a month, maybe 2.

I have since seperate the one on the right and am raising him terrestially to see if the lump will go away as he is stuck on 'land' now. Im trying this since the lump appeared during morphing and I assume has to do with air intake.

rigsby

Reaction score
I think it has got to be some sort of deformity in the affected newts seeing as it isn't bothering them or infecting the rest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1