Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

algae invasion

moony1988

Reaction score
Hello all,

Like the subject title suggests, recently there has been an invasion of algae in my tank. I tried taking a couple of photos, but it was difficult to really see anything, so i will have to explain it. The algae is white to clear cloud like substance about 1mm to 1.5mm thick, all over the objects in my tank, including few patches on my axie. I have not added anything to the tank recently, nor has it had any more lighting than usual (has actually remained quite dark). Also bits of algae are forming together to make sort of balls of algae approximately 1cm x 1cm, at the base of my tank (no substrate). There were like three 'balls' of the algae before i gave the tank a water change today.

My tank parameters are ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate at 5 (I do 10-20% water changes daily), and the temperature has stayed at 19C. My axie is still eating as per normal, however i am just concerned whether the amount of algae in the tank is normal.

What do you guys and girls think?
Please don't hesitate to ask me something more if i have been unclear.

Thanks,
Moony

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!