Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

im worried sick about my 4 salmanders !!

Sarah26

Reaction score
im worried sick about my 4 salmanders !!

My salmanderS refuse to eat!! ?:(:confused::mad::eek:
I tried feeding my salmanders different types of food, untill the shop i bought them from adviced me to feed them frozen blood worms.
however the problem is, they are simply NOT eating!
i tried to starve them for week and two at a time, and then feed them, but still nothing. I bought two 4 months ago, and they had this presistant problem with not eating, so i decided to buy another two to see if they would eat a week ago, but still nothing.
now i ended up with 4 salmanders who all refuse to eat
what should i do?
please help me!
they are very small type of salmander, they are black coloured and the bottom side is orange with black spots...
they are all very small...
the aquarium i put them in is not that big but not too small... with rocks and a nice house for them to hide in and rest from swiming, the water is shallow and not deep at all! but i hardly put them in contact with any kind of light.

furthermore...
My salmanders are NEVER in the water, always trying to avoid it by sleeping next to each other on the big dry rock.
so what shall i do? should i put them in a warm room? and put warm water? of lights? how long will that take for me to SEE them eating, im really worried theyll die soon if they continue to avoid eating.

today i warmed up the aquarium by putting lights above it, the water became warm and so did the water, not too warm though of course!
ALSO i actually caught an insect, plucked its wings out and put it in the water with all the other salmanders, it was so tiny,alive and kicking yet NONE of the salamanders came anywhere near it !!:mad::mad: what the hell is wrong? im starting to lose my patience.
finding living insects is very difficult as i live in an appartment.:mad:

i need help. pls any1?
i would hate to these cute lil salmaders DIE!!

so pls heeeeeeeeelp !!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of this is addressed in the FAQ:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

Do NOT try to warm them up. For food, try live pinhead crickets and try feeding bits of earthworm on a toothpick or tweezers. Earthworm is best, but if you can't get it, try thawed bloodworm on a toothpick.

rigsby

Reaction score
I'd guess you have juvenile chinese fire bellies, if i'm right they will be terrestrial for now and doubt very much they would have been eating frozen blood worm as at a young age and living on land they need to see the food move so live blood worm would be much better or even small pieces of earth worm if you can get them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1