Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Name suggestions?

fel

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm fel from Australia, new to these forums and I just got an axolotl today. He is a beautiful wild type - olive with pretty black spots and very outgoing. BUT I need a name for him! (He's still youngish - I'm assuming it's a he).

Any suggestions??

[He's my first axolotl - when I was three my brothers had a black one but I wasn't old enough to look after him.]

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Sorry, not good with names! Congratulations on your first very own axie! We need pictures now, you can't just expect us to imagine how gorgeous he is can you?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fel,

I agree with Kerry, you can't torment us like this! We love photos.

This thread: (Why did you give your axie that name?) may assist you in finding a name for your axolotl.

I wouldn't agonise over this too much however, as axolotls never come when called anyway.

My axolotls do come charging over at the sight of the food barrel though ;).

Welcome to the site!

tran

Reaction score
Jacq is right, the name is really for YOU not the axolotl ;)

But it's a good way to pay homage to someone you admire, a particular story or song you like, an inanimate object you always thought was cute...the possibilities are endless, as you can imagine...

But I am bored lol, so I will list out some of the aforementioned possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head:

Famous Scientists and Mathematicians (if you are a geek like me :D):
Joule, Newton, Darwin, Boltzmann, Volta, Archimedes, Maxwell, etc

From literature:
Ichabod Crane, Dorian Grey, Huck Finn, Gandalf, Viola, Hamlet, etc

From pop culture:
Kermit, Woodstock, Axl Rose (this name is really popular on this forum, lol), Dolly, Twiggy, etc

Darn, I wasn't able to think of as many as I'd like... but you get the idea. As long as you like it, that's all that matters, go wild!

SUZY

Reaction score
I like to call all my axies he's until they can show me otherwise, cous I think that they wouldhave a complex if it was the other way around. But....I usually come up with names that sould go either way or even shorten to fix things.
Kinda like Kirmit, Fozie, Jade, Ollie(ver). Just ask Tran, I could go on.

fel

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to reply! It's finally the end of a very long and painful working week and I have returned to using the net for pleasure rather than work lol.

Thanks for all the name suggestions. My housemate got a gold axolotl and called hers Aristotle.. So I was thinking maybe a philosopher's name or maybe Olive or Olivier.. Or a French name or something. Gosh it's so hard. But he's been such a darl and hand feeds and everything (it's so cute!) I tried taking some photos but I need a tripod or something because they didn't turn out very well - what do you guys do? I really need to take some better ones, these don't do the little cutie justice.

Attachments

• P1060720.jpg
    P1060720.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 145
  • P1060717.jpg
    P1060717.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 154
  • P1060722.jpg
    P1060722.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 147

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Fel,

What lovely axies. The names you thought of are so posh as well. Just a little note though. You are using some gravel which i fear might potentially lead to impactions. I would recommend you keep the tank bare bottomed or switch to sand (anything less than 2mm in diameter).

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1