Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axolotl enthusiast!

Tattybella

Reaction score
Hi!! I've been frantically reading on here for the last 24 hours or so everything I can soak up about axolotls and it's been great!! My story so far is, saw an axolotl on QI ages ago and fell in love!! I had a bit of extra money Friday and decided to look into tanks, found an advert in a town nearby for someone downsizing and selling a lovely tank already with an axolotl! Phoned and he brought it to me half an hour later!! Had a few hiccups (like a blocked bath from clearing out the black sand etc) but just 24hrs later my axie, I've named Nacho is settled, plodding about and has cleared a block of frozen blood worms and sucked ever last one up from the pebbles and glass round rocks on the floor!! Also turns to look at me when he spots me!! I'm in love!! I just need to get to a supplier soon as I don't drive and would like to get a variety of food for him and replace some of the ornaments that sent to my taste!! I would love any tips people have learnt from their experiences or stories that could help me on my way?! I would like White sand and some pebbles and larger rocks, is this ok? Would you recommend a gravel vacuum? Would you recommend a tank mate? Live or plastic plants? Lights or no lights? Filters? How do I know if he is hungry? Is how much how often down to trial and error? Lol I just want to make sure he is happy and comfortable to maximise his lifespan!! Thanks for reading!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tmorgan

Reaction score
Well you might want to remove the gravel. He may try to eat it. They can eat rocks that are as big as there head! So if you want to have rocks they have to be quite a bit bigger than that. :)

A lot of people have told me that you can use a turkey baster to suck up the poo. I've heard it works really well. :D

Also be careful about the sand. Some sand is not suitable for axies. If you go to the substrate section of the forum there is a lot of info in there. Or the tank set up section. :)

Most people say not to get a tank mate unless it is another axolotl that isn't a juvenile. Young axies tend to nip at each other. So if you wanted to get another axolotl I'd get an adult or if you get a young one keep them separated until it is old enough to be put with the other one.

I think live or plastic is really up to you. I know some plants don't work well with axies. Java moss and java fern are ok to have.

Good luck with him! Sounds like he is going to be one happy critter! :D

Tahnee

lea

Reaction score
Hi and welcome....like tmorgan said get rid of the gravel, he will eat it and then it will get stuck...I would get a gravel vacuum(weekly changes)and a turkey baster(spot cleaning). The only thing I would put in with a axie is another axie(and you will), I do have a snail in my tank though, he stays away from my axies.I have plastic plants because I seem to kill every plant I own, but this is your choice. Axies do not have eyelids, so they are very sensitive to light, so if you must have a light you will need to have a hide so he can get away from the light if he wants. I would use a filter, I have a canister filter and it is great...get the best filter you can afford. They are always hungry, I feed mine 6 days a week, as long as his body is not bigger than his head he should be ok...
I will stop now.I hope I have not bored you.Good luck
lea

Tattybella

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to reply!! I'm really excited about becoming an axie owner as u can tell lol! And thanks for the tips, he keeps popping to the top for oxygen so I'm going to invest in some moss balls I think. I have a plastic plant in front of the filter to slow the current which he seems fine with! I will try the baster idea thanks and get a gravel vacuum for proper cleans. He eats bloodworms happily but I've tried giving him an earthworm twice and it has gotten away under the pebbles and he doesn't seem interested?! Also my water is a tad too warm, I leave the sindow open over night and it cools down a bit but it's too cool for the day time especially with my 2 small children pottering about!! Any ideas what I can do?! Thanks :)

Crysta

Reaction score
Check out some of the articles on cooling. There are some good ideas there.

As for the earthworms, have tried a tweezer feed? My smaller axolotl needs a bit of persuasive wriggling in front of his face.

Tattybella

Reaction score
Thank u I will check it out! N he finally found a worm earlier, made a meal of getting it down but his previous owner fed him on frozen shrimp so I'm guessing this is as new for him as it is for me!! :)!

Odd question but does anyone elses axie ever turn to look straight at them?! Lol, the 1st night he was here I went downstairs in the early hours to get my son and daughter a drink and checked on him and he stopped and turnt straight to look at me! My partner said the sane thing happened to him! Since I've noticed him stood watching is a few times, especially if the room is poorly lit!! Just wondering if I'm going mad or if they take some sort of interest in what goes outside their watery homes?! Thanks :)

lea

Reaction score
They do take notice I think, our axie plays chasey with my youngest son up and down the tank. When he sees me he goes to his feeding jar ready for food.

Tattybella

Reaction score
Wow that's so sweet!! I hope mine comes out of his shell once I've had him a while! It's just odd because with fish and all things like that u expect them to go about their days without a second thought for who's looking! I guess axies r just a lot more intelligent!! And feeding jar?! Is that for things like bloodworms to stop it making a mess? Do u leave it in all the time? Mine is about 15cm and eats a block of bloodworms a day (well 2 I guess cus they r stuck together and too tough for me to break lol) and now an earthworm too, is he greedy or eating enough because the water is speeding his metabolism up? Thanks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!