Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can someone check my breeding setup?

owins

Reaction score
im going to try and breed these two axolotls, this is my tank set up.
  • 2ft tank, 55L
  • Natural stone gravel.
  • 7 plastic plants
  • artificial wood tunnel and a pipe
  • and of coarse a filter that suits the tank volume
  • tank temp is currently 14 degrees celcius
What else do i need to success in making them mate. i have a 3 ft tank also in my basement set up for lavae and eggs.

do i need some slate or something so the male can lay his spermataphores?

here are pics of tank:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/joelowins/Photo0162.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/joelowins/Photo0163.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/joelowins/Photo0164.jpg

Minniechild

Reaction score
First thing, and I can't stress it enough- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET RID OF THAT GRAVEL!!! You axies won't lay on it, and it's just the right size for being swallowed, and then they'll get impacted and sick and it'll in general be horrible! Sand's good, or if you want slate, amber has slate tiles 30cm by 30cm for $5. Right now, you need to get your axies out of there- tupperware container them and scoop that gravel out- every single piece of it, out of any tanks that have it in. If anything, you can have the bottom of the tank bare till you get new stuff, but it needs to be gone! The first week I had axies, I had an impaction issue, and it is one of the most terrifying things you will go through.
There are a few other suggestions, but that takes precedence.
Good luck with your babies!

lfrey

Reaction score
I agree get rid of that gravel. If you don't like sand as it can be alot of work sand I use stones that are bigger than the axolotl's heads this way they can't swallow them. People say stones are too much to clean but my tank stays cleaner for a lot longer then it did with the sand. Not to mention the sand gave mine a fungus haven't had any problems with the stones and my axes are healthier then ever.
Are your axolotls old enough they look small in your photos like there not adults yet. Also once you see eggs in the tank or even when you see the sperm get the temp up to 20 degrees celcius. I'm in Australia aswell and my tank was sitting at 16 during the day and got to 13 degrees during the night which is why I think mine started breeding. But I think its also why my eggs never formed as my female laid 25eggs on the first night the tank was at 14 degrees and the eggs never formed she laid a few more eggs two days later and I put a heater in the tank and made it sit at 20 degrees now I have two babies.
Hopefully if your axes are old enough they will breed this winter while its still cool.

lfrey

Reaction score
Also with your filter I have the same one in my tank there great filters just keep an eye that it doesn't suck all your sperm/eggs up before the female gets to it. There great filters as they don't have much water flow like others but they still clean the tank just as good as any other filter

yellowpebble

Reaction score
I agree with Caitie. One of the most important things with keeping an axolotl is NOT keeping them on gravel. Unlike fish they have massive mouths, and they are not picky with what they eat. Anything that moves, anything that smells like food or has food near it they will try to eat. Once they eat gravel, its hard for them to live through.

I'm not criticizing, everyone starts somewhere with axies and lots of beginners make this mistake. Perhaps you should research into proper care of axolotls before you try to breed more.

these two sites are great for care requirements:

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Home Page

Also it is advised to keep the larva in separate small containers when they hatch to ensure optimal survival, not all in one tank. They will grow at different rates, and try to eat each other.

good luck!

owins

Reaction score
Yeah i get what everyone is saying about the gravel, i have always hand fed them so that they dont eat gravel, minimising the risk but im sure it does happen happen other ways.
my axolotls are heathy and happy so im pretty sure i dont need to look at how to look after them. i realise i made a mistake about the gravel, easy fix. but better than having unhealthy malnurished axies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1