Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it okay to leave nightcrawlers in my tigers habitat?

N

nick

is it okay to leave nightcrawlers inside my tigers habitat? and if so, how many at a time? and what should i feed the worms to keep them alive? thanks so much to the fine people of caudata.org!

C

cameron

No, because if it dies it would stink really really badly. If the Tigers don't eat it put it back in its container.

Worms dig a tunnel deep underground. They pull dead leaves and carcasses into the tunnel to eat. So if you want to feed them then give them rotten fruit, egg shells, and dead leaves. It's just like a compost bin.

K

kaysie

I leave nightcrawlers in my terrestrial setups. As long as most of the worm is there, it usually doesn't die.

N

nick

well, the reason i would like to leave worms in my tigers habitat is cause i feel like its wrong to dig him up and throw a worm next to him. it would be a whole another story if he was in his burrow but with his head out... u know? i appreciate any suggestions. but for now i might have to leave like 5 worms at a time with fruit.

D

dane

I used to leave worms in my spotted sals cage all the time(mostly cause I couldnt get them to hand feed so they always had food)

N

nick

i see. did any of them die? what is a crawlers life span with fruit? are they hardy(meaning, can they live long and through extreme situations?)? thanks u guys

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nick - I wouldn't worry about feeding the worms you place into your tiger's enclosure. If your coco-fiber/soil is moist, that is good enough...worms eat organic matter. If you were creating a worm farm, that is one thing. If you are placing worms in your viv, I wouldn't add fruit to the viv. It sets up a great environment for fungus, bacteria....and gnats/fruit flies. If you change your substrate every 4-8 weeks and keep the temps around 70ish, you'll be fine with no worry of dead worms. Keep the other worms in a refrigerator....they'll live for quite a while. I would still be concerned that with your sal, who has not been eating well, a non-monitored diet may not be in its best interest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1