Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi, new to the forums, Axie world and worried about my Axie!

E

erron

Heya how's it going?

I've owned my Axie for 2 days now. Bought it off a young boy who didn't really want to care for it anymore. Bought the tank, filter, Axie, cleaners etc. full setup for NZ$70.

My Axie is named Doffle. Which is short for Afrodoffle. Which sounds like Axolotl. Anyway, I've noticed that he doesn't move very much, only when he's going to eat. Infact I don't even know if it's a he or a she. All I know is that it's a little over 1 year old.

Are the gills supposed to face forward so far? That is what Doffle looks like most of the time when he is sitting still. Is there anything wrong with Doffle? Maybe you can tell me something that I don't know!

Thanks,
OSiRiS

(Message edited by osiris on June 16, 2006)

E

erron

66506.jpg

66507.jpg

L

leigh

Hi... From my experience axies arnt the most active creatures, but in saying that they can be if they are that way inclined.

Its a good sign that your axie is eating nd from the pictures Afrodoffle looks quite healthy esp the gills.

im not sure how to determine the sex of your axie, but im sure someone here will b able to.

sorry i cant help u further.. God Speed

L

lexie

My vote's for male - see the swollen part just behind his leg? If you had a female, that wouldn't be there.

(Unless I've got my sexes mixed up.. wouldn't put it past me, LOL)

Looks like you've got yourself a really healthy axolotl!! I don't think you've got much to be worried about at all. The gills are beautiful, and they're fine - Don't worry if you see him flapping them from front to back and so forth - it's just a way of getting oxygen for them. It's great he's eating, and it's awesome that you've got him on sand! He's beautiful too, I love his markings. Looks like marble, on his tail, in that first pic!

Just to clarify - you bought all the equipment already set up? So there was no need to cycle the tank? Just making sure it was all set up, otherwise you may have a few problems down the track
happy.gif

Otherwise, congratulations on obtaining a very healthy axie. And don't worry. One of my axies just sits there all day long too, but sometimes he gets excited (ie, feeding time).

Good luck!
Lex

kapo

Reaction score
I thought male too!

As Lexie asked, did you transfer the original tank water too, or part of his tank water?

E

erron

Awww hey thanks for the comments
happy.gif
All along I was very worried because of the lack of movement of Doffle
happy.gif
The plants aren't real, one is a background picture and the other is just a plastic plant.

Yes we just moved the tank into my place, added plastic plants, sand and a background. Otherwise it was just a glass tank, water, pump and Doffle. Very boring.

I also bought a nice looking log that even I wouldn't mind sleeping in. Pics of the tank and more of doffle will be online in the gallery section later
happy.gif

Thanks again!
OSiRiS

kapo

Reaction score
You lucky thing! Very nice looking axie by the way! Whereabouts in NZ are you?

S

steffi

Hey,

I think it's a boy too 8)

My axies don't move much at all either, except when I feed them, although they were really active when they were younger and smaller. But I think they just get lazy with age 8)

Congratulations on getting such a beautiful axie, you can be proud of him 8)

S

stewart

Forward gills could meean that there is a fast water flow, and fast flowing water could stress your axie

look at axolotls.org

S

steph

on the abdomen area of axies they have an area that sticks out (Male), or sucked in a bit (Female)

(Message approved by jennewt)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!