Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Puncture Wound and White Spots?

EliSchellenberg

Reaction score
Ive had my guy Hobbes for about three months now and now Im finding myself in a pickle. The other day my friends came over and where messing around with Hobbes and poking him with chopsticks. He freaked out and swam around and I guess cut himself on one of his ornaments. I freaked out myself and (after punching my friend, hard) I put Hobbes in the refrigerator overnight. I also went out and bought a much bigger aquarium so that this will never hopefully happen again. But I also just noticed that he had white spots on him and I want to make sure that its ok. Check out the pics and thanks for your feedback its much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,840
  • IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,162

Kaini

Reaction score
I don't see any white spots..? unless you mean the sort of patchy pattern on his body, which is just his coloration. My golden albino looks like that too.

I would stop letting your friends stick their hands/ other objects in your tank. lD Frankly I'd murder anyone that stuck anything in my tanks! XD

If he cut himself on something, remove that something. Axolotls are notoriously good healers - with perfect water quality and the proper temperature he'll be fine.

Also if you're setting up a new tank, remember to move your filter over quickly and without washing it out, so you preserve your nitrogen cycle.

EliSchellenberg

Reaction score
Yeah I just used the water from my previous ten gallon and then filtered the water a little (just to get all decaying matter in the sand) and then filled up the rest of it. I did leave the filter not running for about an hour and a half though. I didn't empty it in that exchange time period, am I in the clear?? I also added some quick start bacteria (I usually add a small amount or none on water changes depending on what the readings are (have been taking them to a pet store to get water tested). I added more than what I usually do though. I put Hobbes in the fridge for a day while water filtered and settled and stuff then I just added him this morning/afternoon because the water in his little "stasis" dish in the fridge got dirty real fast and I figured I might as well just put him in the tank otherwise the water will have to come from the tap or the tank and Id rather just use the biosystem water. Am I correct on this way of thinking?

Kaini

Reaction score
You really should invest in your own liquid test kit. Monitoring the water quality regularly is important especially keeping axolotls.

If you left the filter off for an hour you may or may not be okay - generally the bacteria are said to have a life of about an hour outside a tank. Quick start isn't an instant fix - you'll still have spikes. I would do frequent water changes with dechlorinated water of course and test regularly :)

But otherwise he looks healthy and the wound should heal just fine if you keep him clean! In the future I wouldn't rush to fridge him - short stints in the fridge are more stessful than helpful.

EliSchellenberg

Reaction score
I mean i didn't hand them the chopstick and say have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1