Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DIY Chiller or spend the money for a store bought one?

Shivermetim

Reaction score
I just drilled holes in the side of the fridge lol scratched my head for a while trying to figure out where to and where not to drill

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Amazing! If you ever wanted to go colder I bet adding longer hoses to the filter and wrapping most of the hose inside the fridge could drop another few degrees

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Ya im looking into improvements dose anybody know about dry ice in a mini fridge how long it last and doses it add a lot of co2 to the surrounding environment or a tub of water stored in the fridge with a slow flow and insulating the lines and sides and back of the tank

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Ya im looking into improvements dose anybody know about dry ice in a mini fridge how long it last and doses it add a lot of co2 to the surrounding environment or a tub of water stored in the fridge with a slow flow and insulating the lines and sides and back of the tank

I'm not sure about all of that but I'm sure just tossing a bunch of ice packs in there would do well.

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Oh it works and you don't have to change out as often as if you were floating them and less temp change but I want more of a no touch necessary and I really want to be 50 to 55 range so more work necessary I might break down and just buy a chiller but wow lot of money but for pinky and the brain I have lost my mind I guess I can't expect them to take over the world if there sitting under the ac sitting in a ice bucket with a hand fan sweating and giving me the evil eye

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Oh it works and you don't have to change out as often as if you were floating them and less temp change but I want more of a no touch necessary and I really want to be 50 to 55 range so more work necessary I might break down and just buy a chiller but wow lot of money but for pinky and the brain I have lost my mind I guess I can't expect them to take over the world if there sitting under the ac sitting in a ice bucket with a hand fan sweating and giving me the evil eye

Most people with chillers don't run it that low, I'm sure the axolotls would be happier in the low 60's.

Mandy1

Reaction score

I currently run 2 tanks on chillers and neither of them are set that low because when the weather is hot they would be on constantly. They throw off a LOT of heat when they're running and it becomes a vicious circle. If you're current set-up is working I would stick with that. Not only are chillers expensive but one of mine is only 3 years old and I've already had to buy replacement parts.

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Humm well ok so 60 to 65 would be a better target range then im also thinking about a window ac or portable ac should be easier and cheaper its a small room just a lot of electronic devices if air temp is 65 then with the fridge and fan tank should be no sweat what is the normal set temp for people that use chillers and doses anyone use combination of fridge chiller ext. Im thinking make a box packed with Styrofoam as a cold water reservoir

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Lol ya there happy and healthy as far as I can tell really just worry about them they are sitting at 67 and max I see on the hottest day was 69-70degrees took this picture at time of post brain says sup

Attachments

• 20140707_003957.jpg
    20140707_003957.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 206

Jonjey

Banned
Reaction score
Lol ya there happy and healthy as far as I can tell really just worry about them they are sitting at 67 and max I see on the hottest day was 69-70degrees took this picture at time of post brain says sup

What an awesome axolotl! 67 is good. Do you have fans on it? Mine just has a fan and sits under an ac vent with an ac deflector on it pushing the ac down into my tank, keeps it at 62-64

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Thanks jonjey yup a fan and few other things I just want to keep them looking awesome

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1