Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with Siren wounds. Bacterial or Fungal?

Siren1171

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post here. I have had an Intermediate (or greater?) Siren for about a year now, without any problems. She loves to eat and mosey around. However, 15 hrs ago I noticed some pretty bad wounds, ulceration-like, on her tail, and some milder ones on her lower torso. The bad ones you can see pink flesh tissue and yellow adipose? tissue. The smaller ones are just plain white. Also, I noticed some small "peeling" skin on the tips of her external gills. I am having a hard time figuring out if it is bacterial or fungal. If I do not know the exact pathogen, I am unsure how to treat her. I made an album with some pics for possible identification Siren wounds - Imgur

When I first noticed it (15 hours ago) I pulled her out of the regular tank and put her in her own tank, which is just a clear plastic 12 gallon bin, with treated water filled up to 7 inches in height (seems to be the most comfortable height when she occasionally comes up for air gulps, which she always has done), and with her own bubbler.
I also added tea tree extract MELAFIX according to the directions on the bottle. (Daily dose for 7 days)
I took out the filter, since I read that the carbon in them can remove the medication in the water.
After 12 hrs, I did a water change.

So far, I can't tell if there has been any change.

Should I attempt to give her a salt bath? How often should I do water changes? I have looked on this forum, and there doesn't seem to be treatments specifically for Sirens, I am not sure if the pathogen is a fungus, plus, the open sores would probably hurt a lot more if I do a salt bath.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!