Hey new member here

Taterchip93

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone

How's it going ? I want to get started on a axolotls tank. I've read pretty much everything on here on how to take care of them and stuff and I have a buddy that has some so I learned a lot from him. I do have a question. I have a 55 gallon long tank, how many axolots can I put in it ? And what's your personal best opinion on the filter system ? And I do live in Texas so the heat is crazy here. So I will have to get a water chiller correct ?

Thanks for the info in advance

Around 4-5 axolotl max with good canister filter that have power up to 100 gallon to keep axolotl water clean. ( I use uv canister filter cause it keep out parasite and less algae) and possibly some decor or plants to block the water currents so water moment from filter will not stressing them out. Yes, you don't have to get chiller if your tank is next or below your air con, aquarium fan would be enough if you keep your air con running at the coldest , if you don't want to do that then get chiller that would be your best option. You'll also need air pump, air stone, sponge filter . New tank , you'll need to cycling it first to get good bacteria growing ( you can find lots of cycling info online) . Water testing strips water treatments , etc. will be needed to keep axolotl healthy and water clean.

Awesome. I appreciate the reply. I'm pretty exited to start with another projects guess you can say. I have angel fish and guppies in the tank now... But I'll gonna give them away and then start getting everything ready for the axolotls.

I do have another question. Do I have to get all males or all females ? I nessicarty don't want them to breed.. But I don't want them to fight if there is 4 males or 4 females

If you don't want them to breed then I recommending get all females. Unless you want to see male matting dance with each other during mating season, and sperms caps flying everywhere then get the males. :D.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back