New to Axolotl: Rearing young?

SmallishFae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I'm new to the forums- but I've been here often in the past reading & researching.

I've been looking into raising Axolotl for nearly a year now, and I feel like I'm ready to get going and raise a few! I'm thinking about buying a group of 20-30 eggs and raising them up- I'll keep one myself, and I have a wonderful mum & pop pet store who're interested in buying the rest. I don't have the eggs yet, I want to make sure I have everything I need first, and wanted to get some advice from you folks. So, my questions are as follows:

1) I plan on hatching the eggs in a 10 gallon aquarium heated to about 70F. Will I need to separate the larva into separate containers as they grow, or will they all be fine in the 10 up to sale size (3-4 inches?)/adulthood because there aren't many?

2) to those of you that sell young: what size do you sell at?

3) I plan on starting a red wiggler earthworm colony- will that be suitable as a main food source for my big juveniles and adults? Or will they need additional foods to be healthy?

4) will self raised daphnia be a suitable food source for newly hatched babies & bigger larva until they are large enough for a 3-4 inch worm? Red wigglers max out at 4 inches.

5) will a well established 20 gallon tank decorated as such be a good home for a pair of Axolotl? Lightly planted with jungle vallisneria, fine black sand on the bottom, a hollowed out piece of driftwood about 5-6 wide for a hide, a fluval 206 canister Filter with a sponge over the intake and spray bar over the output, and a finnex Ray LED light (3 watts per gallon- using it to keep my plants growing quickly and healthily). Do I need to add anything or change anything?

Any suggestions for a ''new mother" trying to hatch eggs for the first time? Thank you for taking the time to read- I appreciate and advice! These critters are so fascinating, and I'm really looking forward to raising them!

If you've never had axies before I suggest getting 1 or 2 juveniles first - eggs are hard work and you really need some experience before you get any.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back