Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blind snake

TheAmphibianGuy

Reaction score
I saw brahminy blind snake and was wondering if it was a snake or a caecilian because it was listed as one on a website but not on others. Also does anyone know where I can buy one?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Asiatyphlops braminus is generally unprotected. I don't THINK Florida or any other state currently have restrictions on them. They're introduced in Phoenix and I think Hawai'i as well. They're not currently considered harmful to the environment to my knowledge. They are a snake, not an amphibian. You can sometimes buy Bimini blind snakes as pet trade imports. I don't know how any worm, thread, or blind snakes do in captivity, but there's a lot of variation in their sizes, diets, and habitats between species.

A.braminus has previously been known as Typhlops braminus, Rhamphotyphlops braminus, and possibly a couple of other names as well.

Cloppy

Reaction score
( From snakesandspiders.com) It might seem hard to believe, but the brahminy blind snake really does resemble a worm. It is a slender snake, that is considered to be the smallest snake in North America. This tiny snake is only about 6 inches long, and has all the appearances of a worm. The only difference really is that it is smooth and shiny like a snake, and is black in color.
While the brahminy blind snake is often black on top, it is usually a lighter color on the underside of the body. The tip of the tail can often be yellow as well, much like some of the youngsters of larger species of snakes. Sometimes the brahminy blind snake has a yellowish tint or white tint under the neck.

While the common earthworm is very similar in many ways, what sets it apart from the brahminy blind snake is the fact that they have segmented bodies. While most snakes have a difference in size around the neck area, the brahminy blind snake does not. They shed just like a regular snake, however, and are aided in this by the fact that they are burrowing snakes. When they burrow, the skin sheds easier.
Young brahminy blind snakes are very much identical to the adults, but are even smaller. A baby blind snake is only about two inches long.
The brahminy blind snake must have moisture in the soil that it burrows to survive. If it does not have this moisture, it will eventually dry up. For this reason, brahminy blind snakes seek out odd places to burrow at times. They are not shy about taking up residence in your potted plants, and will be happy to make an appearance when you least expect it.
So what does the brahminy blind snake eat? Because of it’s tiny size, the brahminy primarily eats termites, insect larvae, and tiny tiny insects.
The brahminy blind snake was originally Asian, but ended up prominent in the United States along the way. They prefer warm, tropical locales, and so they are found in Florida in large numbers. The also are found in Mexico and Hawaii as well. Most herpetologists agree that they found their way around the world via the potted plants that are shipped around. Whatever the case, they have become a fairly wide spread species of snake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!