Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help, Rex has a strange lump in his tail, perhaps a clot?

J

jason

Hi

The otherwise healthy 4 year old Rex has a strange looking lump on his tail. It is dark purple in colour, started off very small, but over the last 6 months has gotten increasingly large in size. It's about as big as a jelly bean at the moment!

75587.jpg

Occasionally little scabby bits break off. I thought perhaps it was some sort of clot - but i'm not sure.

Has anyone else seen this before? Should I get it cut off?

J

jason

Hmmmm.... maybe. I read some of the other posts on bruises. Wouldn't a bruise appear suddenly then slowly fade away? With Rex its been sort of the opposite situation - started as a spec then ended up quite big over a 6 month period.

Now there are 2 other similar black spots starting.

75966.jpg

I hope they don't go the same!

heihei

Reaction score
Have you tried giving him saltbaths, it may help? Also, do you add anything other than water ager/dechlorinater/conditioner to your tank that might have effected him? (just a thought...)

J

jason

Nope, no saltbaths or refrigeration or any of the stuff Axolotl's would do at an Axolotl health resort. I don't put anything in the water, I just let is sit for a day first so the chlorine evaporates out. 25% water changes and a poop scoop once a week.

He's been 100% fine for 3 years (other than being a total pig), but really the easiest aquatic pet to look after ever.

Admittedly his water is a bit too warm for an Axy, he lives in Oz and it gets pretty warm in summer, but he's been used to it since birth so I don't want to start cooling the tank now.

The lump in the first photo is quite ugly and sitting right on the outside of the tail. Often it catches on things in the tank. I want to snip it off, then treat him with a bit of iodine and a few salt baths.

Are there any Axolotl surgeons in the audience?

L

lana

I have seen a post where the axolotl has just a natural spot. It almost looks like a burn of some sort.

J

jason

Hi Lana, I couldn't find the post, could you maybe post a link if you remember where it was.

Rex has more of a lump than a spot. The first photo doesn't do it justice. You can really just see half of it. The lump is about 2cm x 1cm x 1cm in volume, and rock hard.

I'm thinking the two smaller spots are just that, spots, but the big one on the tail is some sort of cancer.

J

jennifer

I don't think we have any axolotl surgeons here, unfortunately. I would suggest trying to find a good vet. Considering that this "thing" is growing so slowly (6 months), I think that rules out fungus, bruises, and parasites. All of those things would either get much worse or much better within that length of time.

I checked my copy of Amphib Med & Husbandry for information on tumors. Axolotls can get tumors, and one common type is called melanophoroma (a tumor of the melanophores). It can be either benign or malignant. The book doesn't have a lot of other info that is helpful, but perhaps this offers at least a possible explanation.

J

jason

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. He still eats like a pig.

Vet will snip it off next week! Hope it doesn't hurt him. I'll try to find out what it actually was (tumor, parasite etc).

(Message edited by rexysdad on January 13, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!