Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

J

jacob

I am holding on to it for breeding in the future. Hopefully there will be more!

L

lorie

hahaha Jack Sparrow:p HAHA our axies could make a new pirates of the carribean film (I got one called The Kracken)haha

J

jacob

82029.jpg

Now you can see the back legs. The lighter gills are much shorter than the ones on the darker side.

J

jay

Maybe pirate will turn out as a golden Leucistic. Jacob i think you just designed a new coloured axolotl lol. What colour are the parents? Golden albino and Leucistic, yes

S

sinead

oh and he said the parents were a female wild type and a male white albino

J

jacob

Sinead's right, the male was white albino and the female was a wild-type. This is the only larvae from the clutch (originally 200 larvae)that was different from the rest. None of it's sibblings are white or gold albino, all are wild-type and leucistic. Some of the leucistics have lighter eyes than I am used to, or I'm just seeing things, I'll try to post a pic of some of them.

Jake

Reaction score
Update on "Pirate Gary"

He's grown quite a bit. Now he's about 3.5 inches long and eating inch long earthworms. I'll post more pics of him/her as soon as I can. The set of gills with no pigment are much shorter than the other set.

I think I was just imagining that it's sibbling's eyes were lighter, but Pirate is still a stunner.

Last edited:

peterj

Reaction score
His whole left side seems to be lighter, as if the pigment cells were distributed lopsided in his early development. Are there any records of chimeric axolotls (individuals formed from fused embryos).

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
...as for chimeras

Oh chimeric embryos, that is exciting, well most i know are ones creted in the laboratory. In a certain stage of developement they will fuse two parts of two eggs togethere and axolotl will form. Use to study things like fusing a genetically fatal disorder guy with a heathy one, study of pigmentation, cell ressearch, grafting, etc. I will just say this, the way axolol immune system handles transplants is amazing, if your ever up for a fun read! I do not know of any chimeric axolotls outside of the laboratory.

you know that picture of those axolotls with a black head and a white body? Laboratory Chimera from my understanding.

Jake

Reaction score
Pirate Gary Update Photo.

Here he is today, what do you think?

Attachments

• pirategar.jpg
    pirategar.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 25,256
  • pirategary.jpg
    pirategary.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,747

kiwitwist

Reaction score
So weird!! Thanks for continuing to update on this guy!! It's VERY interesting!!

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
There is something interesting going on here. Thanks for the pics. fascinating, indeed. Definately appear similar in appearnce to a chimeric creature, but, I do not know how a chimeric individual could be creted in a creature that uses external fetilization. I may lean that it could be exhibiting mosaicsm (two populations of cells with different genotypes in one individual fromone fertilized egg) I am mostly only familiar with this condition in humans. In the lab, mosaicism is studied in Drosophila that i am aware of. Argh starting bio-lab classes is not coming soon enough :p

this article is about Endopolyploidy and there is a section of it relating to axolotl discussing mosaics, "chromosomal chimeras"
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/38/12/1073.pdf

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting, Jacob, I'm glad to see that this guy is healthy and doing well.:D I can't wait to see him/her as an adult.

I do not know how a chimeric individual could be creted in a creature that uses external fetilization.
Umm, axolotls do have internal fertilization. I don't know enough about chimerism to understand exactly how matters. My thought was that there could have been a somatic mutation when the embryo was at the 2-cell stage, resulting in such a half-and-half animal, but I'm sure there are other mechanisms as well.

Jake

Reaction score
The male (who is Pirate Gary's father) belonged to a friend across town, but he's moving out of state and couldn't bring them with, so he sold him to me.

Attachments

• pg.jpg
    pg.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 5,039
  • pg3.jpg
    pg3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,426
  • pg4.jpg
    pg4.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 4,034
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!