Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

6 foot axolotl tank suggestions.

lisapie

Reaction score
Hiya,

I've kept axolotls for about 6 years now. At the moment I have a 3 ft with two medium sized female 3 year old axies in it, a 2.5 ft with a full grown female 6 year old axie in it and a 2 ft with a medium sized male 3 year old axie.

I'm due to move in about 2 months and was dreading the thought of moving all three tanks. Until I came across a friend selling a 6ft tank. I've always wanted a big tank, divided of course and this seems like a perfect opportunity. Theoretically I can get this moved in with plenty of time to cycle (with the help of aged filter media) and setup and just swap axies over when i move in.

I've got the dividing part sorted out and just need to buy the materials (plan on using plastic mesh, not too dense though, need good water flow). I use filter sand which I can buy from work, I'm looking at buying a 1000 or so per hour canister filter which i plan to diffuse the flow from (somehow). I'll move my driftwood and what few live plants and java moss I have. Still need to track down a 6ft hood for lighting.

I wanted some suggestions on whether I'm getting a big enough filter? I know I need a pretty big filter cause the tank could have anywhere between 300 litres and 600 litres depending how high i fill it. I'm probably not going higher than a ft so maybe at most 400lt.

Was also wondering about the male female issue. Last time my male spent any time in a tank with females he had axie relations with two of them. I know they'll be divided this time, but I'm inclined to think he might spawn anyway... I'm just hoping my mesh is enough protection (lol). Any thoughts?

And finally any suggestions or feedback anyone has would be well appreciated. I'm definately not new to aquariums, but I'm a little daunted by one this size. I'll be taking photos as i set up and complete it, so maybe check back in a few weeks and there might be some work in progress showing.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I would buy two half-size filters and put one on either end. This would ensure the whole tank is filtered, and would prevent stagnant areas.

lisapie

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 1000/1500 litre an hour canister filter. Or as you suggest two 500/750 litre an hour filters. Do you think that will be enough filtration? Or should I go higher? I'm just worried about creating too much turbulence in the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1