T. marmoratus Kept Aquatic

pms17

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
There is a tank where T. marmoratus and L. boscai breed. I have read various topics about T.. marmoratus and I've seen that marms remain terrestrial after methamorphosis, but I have never seen any T. marmoratus outside the tank. Do you think they remain aquatic after methamorphosis?

I'l post pics of the tank next time I go there.

Mine have. I just have a haul-out and they live in an aquatic tank. I raised mine that way and they have reproduced. I'll see if this next generation will do this too.

Mine where fully aquatic during their breeding season ( approx Nov to April) They are just starting to spend spells on the land area of their tank.

I assume the tank is in the wild and not in your property right?!
T. marmoratus, pure wild animals distributed in Portugal, are strictly terrestrial after metamorphosis. The only population of T. marms that are aquatic after morphing are confined to a very remote stop in east Spain. T.marmoratus is strictly terrestrial and only enters water when sexually mature and only for the purpose of breeding being terrestrial in the remaining of the year. Sadly there are almost no marmoratus in the hobby since today's strains are nothing more than a wide range of weak gene hybrids from the time in witch there was no distinction about marmoratus and pygmaeus, these animals are so altered that their behaviour is in great part totally different from the pure, wild animals that still habit the wilderness of south Europe these days. L. boscai has the exactly same biology.
You never saw none out because its nearly impossible to spot them. Doesnt mean they dont climb on land. If terrestrial adults are difficult to find, juveniles are near to the impossible. Only under very specific conditions and with a bunch of luck you will manage to see some. I never, ever saw a wild, terrestrial T. marmoratus in years of herping either adult or juvenil, they all live under 10-40cm under the soil in very moist logs, even during heavy rains under forest canopy its really dificult.... Aquatic ones in breeding mode is a completely different story.

Cheers,

I never, ever saw a wild, terrestrial T. marmoratus in years of herping either adult or juvenil, they all live under 10-40cm under the soil in very moist logs, even during heavy rains under forest canopy its really dificult.... Aquatic ones in breeding mode is a completely different story.

My experience when growing up near Perigueux, in South West France, is very similar, I only recall seeing one terrestrial Marm, and it was while visiting a dam with a Uni class, we found one in an observation trap. Near home, I used to flip logs all the time around their main breeding pound, and never saw one (loads of stag beetles, midwife toads, smooth and palmates, but not a single marm) and it was a mystery to me, where on earth did those hundreds of marms would come from, since that bit of forest would appears free of them during the dry season, and a soon as the pond was full of water, bam, marm explosion :D

My experience when growing up near Perigueux, in South West France, is very similar, I only recall seeing one terrestrial Marm, and it was while visiting a dam with a Uni class, we found one in an observation trap. Near home, I used to flip logs all the time around their main breeding pound, and never saw one (loads of stag beetles, midwife toads, smooth and palmates, but not a single marm) and it was a mystery to me, where on earth did those hundreds of marms would come from, since that bit of forest would appears free of them during the dry season, and a soon as the pond was full of water, bam, marm explosion :D

Couldnt agree more. During breeding they are all over the place in huge numbers and at any type of water body. I've found 6 Fully grown adults in a tiny pool not more than 30x30cm of surface along with salamandra larvae all together! But no matter how many rocks I flip in the nearby places till today I havent seen even one! My idea is that they live really deep under the ground since when I flip rocks near these pools there are a vast number of chambers and tunels that point further down in the soil with diameters around 3-8cm. I guess these are used also by Fire salamanders and both species co-exist in subterranean logs only comming out in a cool, thunderstorm night to hunt.

Cheers,

Well, this tank is in the north of Portugal, and although the tank is inside my property, I didn't introduce them to the tank, they showed up naturally and I have never fed them. The tank is a mini ecosystem :p .

Thanks for your opinions!

Sadly there are almost no marmoratus in the hobby since today's strains are nothing more than a wide range of weak gene hybrids from the time in witch there was no distinction about marmoratus and pygmaeus
Cheers,

This is not true, there are different groups with locality data in the hobby. I know about at least two: Soria, Spain, and Clermont Ferrant, France.

Dear Joost,

Originally Posted by eljorgo
Sadly there are almost no marmoratus(...)

-Thus those locations are far from distributional area of T. pygmaeus.

So yes, what I said is irrefutably correct.
Regards,

Soria is not that far from pygmaeus populations at all.
I find the assumption that most captive populations of marmoratus are hybrids quite unfounded. While i agree that there are bloodlines which seem to have been inbred excessively, thus producing animals of questionable health, there´s very little evidence of hybridation with T.pygmaeus.
As far as i understand, the majority of early imports of T.marmoratus into the hobby actually came from the south of France. In addition, just because T.pygmaeus used to be a subspecies of marmoratus it doesn´t mean there was no distinction, the two were recognized as distinctive populations, and i very much doubt that any significant number of serious hobbyists would have mixed them on purpose. Despite what some people may say, i find the differences quite obvious.
Also, the smuggling and poaching of T.marmoratus from northern spain and southern france to supply the british market in the last decade has introduced new pure blood, albeit illegally. To my knowledge, no T.pygmaeus have appeared on british shops.
T.pygmaeus is VERY rare in captivity, that makes it very unlikely for significant numbers of hybrids being produced, and their very own rarity means they are rather highly prized and less susceptible to being mixed carelessly.
Just because T.marmoratus can show intermediate characteristics it doesn´t mean they are hybrids.

If you have evidence of hybridization in captivity, please do share it.

Last edited:
If you have evidence of hybridization in captivity, please do share it.

It is not necessary. One needs nothing but eyes on face to see so. Thus very reliable hoobysts from Germany those that so advanced they are usually don't hang in forums, told me these same words I said in my first intervention. I don't care if you think its wrong at all. Its your opinion but I rather follow opinions from other more elder, skilled hobbyists.
Soria is some hundred kms away from nearest distributional zones of T. pygameus. I've seen T. pygameus for sale few years ago, WC in UK. And to conclude being already studied and differentiated doesn't mean people would follow or even care about it by then. Its too relative and you force people to believe that things happen in only a line and no other chances exist.
And like you said, you know the effects of too much of inbreeding.
I guess people is taking this too much off-topic since the question was simple:
Does or does not T. marmoratus have a strict terrestrial phase after metamorphosis?
I guess you should rather help this member in this point of matter and try to solve his question rather than to attack other members or contesting everything it is said along the thread.
Off-course, its only a suggestion.
Cheers,
Jorge

I must disagree on the lack of necessity for evidence, and i think rightfully so precisely because of your claim of irrefutability. I disagree that you only need your eyes to see it. As species they are generally fairly easily recognizable, but it´s definitely not possible to infer hybridization simply from superfitial appearance. Both species are highly variable, with plenty of populations showing intermediate characteristic. Assuming that appearance infers an event of genetic introgression is not entirely safe. Even field experts have to resort to genetics to safely identify certain individuals, specially in sympatric populations.

I certainly don´t see why my objection, just as Joost´s should be interpreted as an attack. I´m also definitely not contesting everything that is said, or that you say. I do, however, think it´s very reasonable and not at all comfrontational to contest your claim of irrefutability.
I, by no means, pretend to question the knowledge and expertise of the german hobbyists. But i have my reservations as to how a local observation, however true it may be, warrants irrefutability in a global scheme of the hobby. I´m sure those germans with which you talk have very good reasons to make their claims. Mind you, i can only assume that their observations are at least largely limited to the german hobby. In order to apply to the entire hobby, and to be irrefutable, it must certainly be based on a lot more than just words. Certainly the only way to allow for a claim of irrefutability would be to provide evidence. Without it, and in this case that means, without a genetic study, you can only claim probability. I think this is particularly so in a community such as this which for obvious reasons is tinted with a scientific view.
Please note that i´m not doubting or contesting the validity of its possibility, and in fact i´m entirely prepared to believe it if evidence is shown to me. Precisely because of the particular characteristics of the german system and it´s laws, i can picture how their captive populations of T.marmoratus would be susceptible to genetic damage throughout the decades. I fail to see how that can be safely applied to any other country, for the reasons i already mentioned.

I agree that the fact that pygmaeus and marmoratus were recognizible and separate populations even before they were segregated into different species, doesn´t mean it prevents people from mixing them, but it makes my point that just because at one time they weren´t separated, it didn´t mean that people were incapable of distinguising them and so countless events of hybridization were impossible to avoid. They were and are very much avoidable, which of course doesn´t eliminate the possibility of genetic introgression. That can´t be adressed without genetic studies. So once again in order for the claim of irrefutability (which is a VERY strong one) to be valid, you need evidence. That evidence needs to be genetic. If the germans have made such studies, he fact that nobody else seems to know about them can only mean that those studies are limited to german captive populations in which case their suitability as representation for other captive populations is highly contestable.
I´m sorry to ramble so much and make my point so inconcise, but i´m merely trying to make it clear that there is absolutely no attack in my post, there´s only justified skepticism towards what represents a very strong claim of irrefutability. It´s most definitely not about you. No matter who had made that claim, i would have had a problem validating it without any proof.

As far as deviating from the original topic, i find it´s unfair for you to blame me with it being as it was you who originally deviated from it, making it possible for others to elaborate on it. Anyway, i agree that i should probably say something about the original topic.

Pms17, T.marmoratus as a whole certainly has a strict terrestrial phase. There is variation in this, and there are exceptions. Some specific, although very rare, populations have juveniles which remain aquatic after metamorphosis at least for a certain amount of time. The same kind of exceptions can be seen in even more strictly terrestrial species like S.slamandra. However, they are not representative of the whole species. You should certainly expect any unidentified individuald or population to have a very marked semi-aquatic life. In other words, the vast majority of marms will leave the water, both in captivity and in the wild.
As i said, however, there is variation in the wild. Some populations (in particular i know of populations in my area) have very extended aquatic phases, to the extent of representing the majority of the year. These individuals have a short terrestrial phase exclussively during the summer months, but inmediately return to the water at the very beginnings of autumn. This is particularly so in males, for obvious reasons.
Also, in captivity you can observe variation from the norm. You´ll find a minority of keepers that have suceeded in keeping T.marmroatus aquatic year-round, and you can also see that juveniles are much more likely to become aquatic in captivity than they are in the wild. It is possible to keep even relatively young juveniles of this species aquatic (even though it may not be possible to do so continously throughout the year).
So, basically the answer to your question is that most marms do indeed leave the water, and only a very small minority don´t. The difficulty of observing them in their terrestrial phase lies in the fossorial, secretive and opportunistic habits of the species, not in the assumption that they are simply not there which is obviously not true xDDD

Last edited:
Here's some pics of the tank:

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/pms17/DSC_0350.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/pms17/DSC_0342e.jpg

And some pics of a female Lissotriton boscai I found in the tank
Sorry, no belly shots xD

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/pms17/DSC_0117.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/pms17/DSC_0103.jpg

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/pms17/DSC_0099.jpg

And a pic of a river nearby:

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/pms17/DSC_0238.jpg

All the photos were takes using a

Nikon D5100

with

Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens

lovely pics. That river is beautiful. Makes me want to go for a swim.

Female Lissotritons are so beautiful. Their fashion sense may tend more toward muted earth colors, but I love the fine shades of ochre and the lil' spots...

But dude....that's a pond, not a tank :) You have this in your backyard? Lucky you!

Beautiful place!!!
I could spend the whole day in such a place, doing nothing but observing the newts, and the plants and listening to the water.
Bit of a funny place to put a grapevine, though xD How do people get to the bits hanging over the water?

PS: Please refrain from giving specific data about the location of the site. It´s against the forum rules to request or provide specific locations.

Normaly, we collect the grapes on the sides of the pond. The rest of the grapes are eaten by birds. XD

Oh, sorry... I didn't knew...

Around 1992 I did some herping in Brittany (NW France) and it was in August, I found many adults T. mormoratus in their terrestrial phase and believe me they were easy to find and quite close to the surface. I guess it depends on the different ecosystems.

Beautiful!!!! Kinda looks like some areas of Texas except that here, to find a newt... good luck!
Thanks for sharing such amazing pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back