Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Organic choice potting soil and tiger salamander

mikemike

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am about to get a Tiger Salamander (or Axolotl still trying to decide) and i have a bunch of left over dirt from my planted aquarium (not to mention also play sand just in case i do get a Axolotl) an I know that the dirt is fish safe but i'm wondering if it's safe with Tiger Salamander's as well. :confused:

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of "dirt" it is and if it has any Peat, Sphagnum. or Fertilizers in it?

JoshBA

Reaction score
Even though its fine for planted aquariums, it wouldn't be ideal as the main soil for a tiger salamander tank. This is because Miracle grow is nutrient rich, and the salamander would basically be in contact with it all the time. And high amounts of nutrients in the soil could potentially be harmful to the salamander.

Is the soil mineralized? If you're doing a planted vivarium, it would probably be safe then to use in moderation (not as the main substrate).

mikemike

Reaction score
I kinda feel now as if this thread was pointless because i just asked mother which does she like more and she told me If it's not a a mammal or fish It can't live in her house then she started asking about the axolotl and said she'll make a exception to it axolotl.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mammals are ok, eh? This is how I imagine your house in a weeks time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 588

Norma679

Reaction score
If you want to grow your plants organically and keep your plant leaves green, then you can use Miracle Gro. This Potting soil contains nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous. Also it quite affordable with useful features. It has no harmful substances.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!