Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: New Ambystoma tigrinum

ttess

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm now an owner of an Ambystoma Tigrinum or Tiger Salamander (21cm long).. well, I'm not sure about his type...
Im posting some pics for you to tell me the type and the sex if it is possible :rolleyes:

And one more question... it is still not a salamander, will he/she transform even the temperature or everything is OK to stay like this?

DSC03557.jpg

DSC03551.jpg

DSC03541.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

PS: his tank will be ready until tomorrow..

& sorry about my bad english:tongue:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats on your new animal.
Even though it´s aquatic it is a salamander. It´s just a salamander in the larval fase.
It will morph, and become a fully terrestrial animal.

It´s not possible to sex it now because it´s still a larva, and it´s sexual organs are not yet developed.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It's definitely not an axolotl but the species of tiger is hard to guess. It's rather large for a tiger larva. Where did you get it? The answer to that question will probably let us answer what kind of tiger it is.

ttess

Reaction score
I got it from an aquarium here in Mexico City.. They call 'em here "Water Dog" but i thought it was a Tigrinum because the last time my bro bought one and it became one.. But yeah, this one is bigger :confused:

Thank you all for your answers :wacko:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like Ambystoma andersoni to my eyes.

ttess

Reaction score
Wow actually they look very identical.. Thank you, is there any care sheet here for this specie or is it similar to tigrinums.... I just didnt find one...:confused:

Anderson-Querzahnmolch.jpg

slowfoot

Reaction score
Maybe a picture from the side will help: you might be able to tell if it's mature or not based on the cloaca. Might narrow it down. It doesn't really look like andersoni to me, but I could be wrong.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow actually they look very identical.. Thank you, is there any care sheet here for this specie or is it similar to tigrinums.... I just didnt find one...:confused:
They require the same care as axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1