Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

No eating after breeding

Geckogal

Reaction score
My female just finished laying her eggs about 4 days ago. Ever since then, she has been refusing food. She just kinda of makes a face like she is blowing away the earthworms. I have tried my smaller European nighcrawlers from my farm as well as buying Canadian nighcrawlers, which she usually loves.
The water parameters are ph of 7.2, ammonia and nitrites 0, and the nitrates are a bit below 40.

I know breeding is very stressful and I am worried about her, since she was always a voracious eater. Any suggestions of what I can do to prompt her to eat?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Did you do a large water change after breeding? A lot of biomass is released in the tank when the eggs are laid. I find it is best to do a huge water change and rinse the biological filter medium after egg laying.

Geckogal

Reaction score
I have only done a small one. (5 gallons for a 55 gallon tank). My larger change wasn't due until next week. I will give that a try.

Thank you.

Geckogal

Reaction score
The nitrates are back down to about .20, but I have only gotten her to eat once since I posted this.

I put a divider between her and the male. Could it be stressful to her to be separated from the other?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!