Axolotl not eating and gills turning grey?

naterpie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all! First time posting on the forum hoping to get some advice about my little girl! :(

I've had my axolotl for over 1 year (adopted by me at 2 years old; she is now 3) and in the past 1-2 weeks I've had trouble feeding her. The most she's eaten in the past week has been 2 pellets at the most and is just generally disinterested in food, even when I dangle it with forceps in front of her face. I even tried cutting up some raw salmon tonight to try and tempt her and she just ignored it!

On top of that, (I'm not sure how much gill colour matters) I noticed today the rami part of her gills (not the fimbriae) have gone from their normal albino golden colour to a greyish colour.

Water parameters seem fine and I haven't had any changes to the filtering system so the water flow shouldn't be the problem.

However, it has just turned into Spring here in Australia and I suspect the warmer temperature might be playing a role -- BUT I just feel a little unsure since last spring/summer she was completely fine in her eating patterns/general health.

Any advice on what might be the issue? Any tips on getting her to eat? TIA!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back