Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Handling fire salamanders?

salamandergal

Reaction score
How often do some of you pick up your fire salamanders? As little as possible?
I think that they should get a bit used to being gently handled, because I think it reduces stress.
I dont want them to be afraid of me or my hands.

IanF

Reaction score
I would handle any amphibian as little as possible. I know what you mean about getting it used to handling, but you'll stress it out far more by regularly handling it than you would having to handle once every few months (and even then you should spray your hands with water or even wear gloves). As you most likely know the salts and oils on your skin, even if you can't see them, will be absorbed by the Salamanders skin and lead to alot of stress.
This all may sound harsh but the fact of the matter is if you need to pick it up it should only be for cleaning or to check its health- and therefore it won't need to be handled for more than a minute. So getting it used to handling will do it no good in the long run if you shouldn't actually be handling it. Take this knowing it's with the best of intentions- I can see what you mean and it's true with lots of animals; but not these ones in my opinion.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Handling caudates is largely a bad idea.
I understand that you want to create some kind of bond with your animals, by touching them and letting them get used to you. It´s pretty much inevitable to want that xD
However, bear in mind that this is not in the best interest of the animal, only yours.
As you know, their skin is little protection, and it can be harmed easily. If handled, it should be with wet or moist hands, and with the utmost care.

Also, this animals are stressed by human contact. Although they might seem to get used to it, it´s something the animal is definitely not looking for with enthusiasm.
So, i would say, try not to handle them, as there´s really no advantage of doing so, but there might be problems. Just enjoy them by staring at them for hours like the rest of us xDDDD

salamandergal

Reaction score
Ian and A,
Thanks for the replies. I probably wont be handling them very much.
If only they would come out of their hides more often!

AflackMatt

Reaction score
Also, note that Fire Salamanders are a fair bit more toxic than many other sals. There poison glands are massive and when they stress can put out more than enough to harm you if you ingest it.

Steve Roman

Reaction score
The advice you have been given has this covered just right. I would only add a tip that works for me.

I keep lab wash bottles handy near my Salamandra. That way if an animal suddenly does something unexpected, such as tumble out of its box/enclosure and this causes it to contact the ground, desk or my hands, I can quickly rinse it off with a little safe water before it is put back in its home.

Attachments

• pro7.jpg
    pro7.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2,302

benw

Reaction score
As already corrected stated they should be handled as little as possible, but dont let this reduce your pleasure of keeping them.

I only handle mine quickly when i clean them out, but that doesnt mean they run away from my hands, far from it, mine come out when they see my hands as they know they will get a nice fat worm to eat.

I have only seen my fires squirt poison once so far, and that was when one grabbed another when they were feeding, and it squirted quite a long way. i have heard they can squirt a surprising distance, and you dont want this stuff in your eyes.

As with handling all animals, a good wash of the hands before and after is a must.

Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1