Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Argentine/Ornate Horned Frog Care: the “Pac Man Frog” & its Relatives

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi All,

The Argentine or Ornate Horned Frog (Ceratophrys ornata)may be the world’s most popular amphibian pet. Dubbed the “Pac Man Frog” due to a resemblance to the large-mouthed video game character, it is beautifully colored and “charmingly” pugnacious in disposition. Despite their size (females may be compared to salad bowls; males are much smaller), Horned Frogs require relatively little space and are an ideal choice for those seeking an interesting pet that may live to age 20 or more. Albinos and other unique color morphs, as well as hybrids between related species, are available. Read article here: Argentine or Ornate Horned Frog Care: the

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
Face Book Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

jane1187

Reaction score
Hello, I like your care sheet a great deal. I have been considering 'pacman' frogs for a while and am decided on getting one after seeing them in person at a local exotics show. I will he adding this to my reading on care as all information is welcome when researching your next species.

The use of a bare-bottom tank with cage liner was particularly interesting as I have not seen this described as suitable before. I am not a fan of cocoa husk or other soil-like substrates as they are messy and difficult to change regularly in my little house. I have read they like to burrow so does this tank liner substrate cause them any stess from not being able to do this?

Anyway an interesting read, thank-you for posting it as I probably wouldn't have found it in my research otherwise.

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi Jane,

Thanks for the kind words. Husk and other substrates are tough with this species...both re cleaning and also due to the potential for swallowing.

They do burrow in the wild, but unlike most amphibs are rarely stressed by the lack of a hiding spot. If you wish, you can suspend some plastic plants from the screen cover of glass, so that they hand down to near floor level. The frog may shelter beneath these. Some folks also use thick upholsterer’s foam…you can cut depressions or even burrows into it, and remove to rinse out.

Enjoy, please keep me posted, Frank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1