Illness/Sickness: My Axolotl has turned quite red and wont eat

JoeDailey

Reaction score
Country
United States
The past month I've been trying out some axolotl pellets and they seem fine. Last Friday I was in a rush to feed them because I needed to leave and wouldn't be back till Sunday. I was feeding the pellets and my GFP axolotl hacked up a bunch of compounded pellets. So I figured he'd want something else and went and bought some earthworms. I needed to leave and he wouldn't eat so I tossed two worms(cut up) in the tank.

I came back Sunday and they were eaten. Then I fed them both some pellets and today(Wednesday) The GFP was very skidish and hidden. He wouldn't eat pellets or worms. Then when he came out he was very red.

Here are some pictures:
tnk9rcKh.jpg

ztVW9rch.jpg

jjXED4Yh.jpg

q46VGZTh.jpg

This Is him normally (top):
t74fhqB.jpg

I've put him in the fridge and have been taking him out to make sure it's not too cold.

What kind of sickness is this? What can I do? What do you guys think about administering penicillin(in water) in the case it's bacterial?

water was a little high at 70 degrees. Ammonia and Nitrates safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back