Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Good news for worms

M

mark

I’m not a particularly squeamish person and don’t have a problem with chopping the odd earthworm into little pieces. I do however find myself apologising to said worm before chopping commences. The resulting thrashing around does appear to be a tad on the painful side… But fear not! Our Norwegian neighbours have studied pain in worms and have found the following:

"The common earthworm has a very simple nervous system -- it can be cut in two and continue with its business," Professor Wenche Farstad, who chaired the panel that drew up the report, said on Monday.
Norway might have considered banning the use of live worms as fish bait if the study had found they felt pain, but Farstad said "It seems to be only reflex curling when put on the hook ... They might sense something, but it is not painful and does not compromise their well-being."
The government called for the study on pain, discomfort and stress in invertebrates to help in the planned revision of Norway's animal protection law. Invertebrates cover a range of creatures from insects and spiders to mollusks and crustaceans. Farstad said most invertebrates, including lobsters and crabs boiled alive, do not feel pain because, unlike mammals, they do not have a big brain to read the signals.

<font size="-2">Taken from http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/29405/story.htm At the time this story was covered widely in the press.</font>

We can chop away guilt free from now on…
biggrin.gif

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This post is definitely worth pointing out.

Ciddian

Reaction score
Gosh that makes me feel heaps better! lol I guess people only in this hobby might understand. Hehee

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!