Cutting up worms

I must be pretty cold-hearted, I feel no compasion for the worms. I just cut 'em up. You're feeding them to a salamander that eats them alive, and the worm is getting burned up in stomach acid. It dies either way.:D

This has been such a helpful thread for me. You guys saved me some money because I, too, was considering buying a "choppy-slicey-thingie" to try to chop up the worms but now I know I just gotta gut it out. Oh well LOL

I'm happy I found this thread - cutting a worm in two pieces has been ok but big worm, small bites was a combination that I couldn't figure out. Until today :) after reading these advice, I took my scissors and a small glass mug (old baby food container), worm, cutting...voila! It worked out fine! Thanks!

The scissors-in-the-jar method has stood the test of time. That's what I always do since these early days of experimentation ("dawn" is me from my early days on caudata.org). I got shot glasses instead of plastic film canisters, fearing that microscopic bits of plastic would get cut up with the worms. Also, what is this ancient thing you call "film"? I haven't purchased a canister of film in a long long time. Really long. I also use those tiny jelly jars that are sold in souvenir shops (the really really small ones, that hold about a shot's worth of jelly). I've dropped and broken plenty through the years, so I always pick a few up when I find them.

The scissors-in-the-jar method has stood the test of time. That's what I always do since these early days of experimentation ("dawn" is me from my early days on caudata.org). I got shot glasses instead of plastic film canisters, fearing that microscopic bits of plastic would get cut up with the worms. Also, what is this ancient thing you call "film"? I haven't purchased a canister of film in a long long time. Really long. I also use those tiny jelly jars that are sold in souvenir shops (the really really small ones, that hold about a shot's worth of jelly). I've dropped and broken plenty through the years, so I always pick a few up when I find them.

10 years of experience and knowledge right there :cool:

Mabe put them in magic bullet? :eek: freeze them in those small cubes from the blood worm packs and then just shave of what u need? I just throw up in my mouth, hate chopping worms up too..... I newts like it tho

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back