Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBN Bloat? Air Bubbles?? URGENT

natuhlee

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I posted a while back about my fire belly newt (that is much bigger than the other one) and about whether it was bloated, chubby, or gravid, and the consensus was chubby/healthy, or maybe gravid. Well s/he hasn't gotten any bigger, or smaller (I don't think) but in the past couple days, it had stopped going in the water. I just tried to feed him/her and this was the first time it has ever refused food. S/he then went into the water, but had a hard time swimming and was sort of bobbing around. However, it also looks like there are air bubbles on its skin while it's in the water. Does anyone have any idea what's going on, and how to fix it?? :(

natuhlee

Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify - its body is not balloon looking nor is its chin swollen at all.

natuhlee

Reaction score
This is what he looks like right now. He's just sort of floating there, although it appears the air bubbles went away. Right when s/he got into the water, it looked like there were tiny bubbles on its skin. His skin isn't flaky though when he gets out of the water. I'll watch for him to get out and take another picture then, and I'll try to get one of the air bubbles if he goes back in after that. I'm also attaching a picture of their tank (there's one other newt in the tank, although I'm seriously considering removing this one in case there's an infection).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 401

natuhlee

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know why the picture is upside down. Im trying to fix it.

natuhlee

Reaction score
I'm having major technical difficulties right now getting pictures uploaded. I hope the upside one is somewhat helpful. I'll keep trying.

natuhlee

Reaction score
I think this worked?

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_3191.jpg
    IMG_3191.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 296

natuhlee

Reaction score
still trying to get a non upside-down picture...

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 284

natuhlee

Reaction score
He's already gotten out of the water again.

Attachments

• IMG_3197.jpg
    IMG_3197.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 275

CatSpit

Reaction score
I've seen 'silvery' air bubbles all over my newts when they have been out of the water for some time and then go back in so that's pretty normal.

I don't know why your newt is not eating, staying out of the water and having trouble swimming when it goes in the water, but it would help to know the following...

Are you using a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramine etc? Have you tested your water and are all the levels ok? Have you made any recent changes in or to the tank?

natuhlee

Reaction score
I am using a water conditioner. I have not tested the water levels, but in the past month or so I have had 2 outbreaks of slimy green algae, so I've had to do 2 complete water changes with really intense cleaning to get all of the algae to go away. That seems to have worked, as it's been about 2 weeks and the algae is nowhere to be seen. I added new plants to help the tank cycle quicker, and put their old ones back in too. So I know that probably threw the poor guys off a bit.

CatSpit

Reaction score
Yes, complete water changes and scrubbing algae off would mean you also lost a lot of beneficial bacteria in the process. Cycling a tank with your newts in it means you need to test your levels frequently and do lots of partial water changes to ensure the water is not toxic to your newts. That may be why your newt is not going in the water.

Please test your water and post the results, that way we can help you better.

AuSu

Reaction score
Could there be a nitrite spike in the water now and that's why it stays out of the water? Can you test it, I mean if you've cleaned it lately thoroughly you could have gotten rid of all the good bacteria as well as algae, and cycling process started again. The other newt might be more tolerant, and still stays in the water even if the parameters are not the best. In my newts, I see the variation of characters - it's always those same individuals that like to climb on a cork for a while. I hope the situation is solved soon and the little one will be eating again!

natuhlee

Reaction score
Ok so I got my water tested and the guy said that my ammonia levels are high, and all else is normal (he didn't give me the specific numbers). He advised me to do water changes daily or every other day to get the levels down while allowing my tank to re-cycle itself. Newt was in the water a while today and yesterday, and not bobbing around like before so that seems like an improvement to me. Does anyone else have any other feedback? All is appreciated!

joemomma1016

Reaction score
yea i agree. just keep doing partial water changes. As unsightly algae is, it's nothing compared to ammonia. plants should start getting rid of that ammonia and help with the cycle

natuhlee

Reaction score
About what percent water change should I do every day? 20%? Also, I use a water conditioner but is it helpful to let the water sit for a couple hours before adding it to the tank?

CatSpit

Reaction score
I would do 15 to 20% partial water changes. I don't know if it would help to let your conditioned water sit out, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

joemomma1016

Reaction score
And as far as the algae goes, that's a good indicator that there is something out of wack. The ammonia was the likely cause in my opinion. Too many nutrients etc. for the plants to absorb which allowed the algae to flourish.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
About what percent water change should I do every day? 20%? Also, I use a water conditioner but is it helpful to let the water sit for a couple hours before adding it to the tank?

I would do at least 20% water changes until the water chemistry seems to have normalized. And I would forgo the water conditioner all together and simply let the water age. I realize this may not be an option for you if you have no container appropriate to age it in, but buckets are pretty cheap and, in my opinion, a staple for any aquatic pet husbandry.

Best,

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1