Black "scab" on tail

RLHam3

Reaction score
Country
United States
My seven year old has developed this black scab looking thing on her tail. I thought it was a piece of stuck substrate at first, but it seems to be attached. It seems to have developed almost over night which is why I was thinking that it could be a scab or something like that. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Attachments

• 20161221_190534.jpg
    20161221_190534.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 384
Hi

I just lost this past summer an Eastern Tiger Salamander that had two spots like yours has. The salamander had it roughly from 10 yrs of age until the time of death 15 years. I just made sure it was not growing thru the time. It never seemed to bother the salamander.
Hope this helps.

R

What happens to the growth when your animal sheds? Is there bleeding? Does it get bigger or smaller? Have you tried a local application of 'triple antibiotic ointment' from the pharmacy? The ointment effect could help confirm or rule out infection. If the area bleeds upon skin shedding it could be a papilloma or other skin tumor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back