Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Bacteria Bloom

Tavv

Reaction score
Hello... I need help.
Got a really bad bacteria bloom going on in my tank. I have a 20 Gallon long. Aqua clear filter. I did change the sponge yesterday and now I'm kinda regretting it. Also I put in charcoal in the filter. I didn't use it at first but thought it would help. I did a 20% change and my axolotl Cthulhu is being tubbed.... he's only 5 ish inches. Should he still be tubbed while the bloom is still in effect? How long will it take? Is there anyway I can speed this process up I feel bad he is in a little critter carrier. Going to give him freshwater later tonight.
Is the bloom harmful for him...

Water parameters
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0.5-1
Hardness 60
Ph 6.5-7

:eek::eek::eek::errr::errr::errr:

Sufia

Reaction score
Has the tank not been cycled for you to believe that there is a bacteria bloom? Or could the water be cloudy in appearance because of the recent sponge change and the sediments just need time to settle?

Probably a good idea to keep the axolotl in the tub given that you've got a slight ammonia reading - better to err on side of caution.

See what happens over the next couple of weeks with the water parameters.

Tavv

Reaction score
Has the tank not been cycled for you to believe that there is a bacteria bloom? Or could the water be cloudy in appearance because of the recent sponge change and the sediments just need time to settle?

Probably a good idea to keep the axolotl in the tub given that you've got a slight ammonia reading - better to err on side of caution.

See what happens over the next couple of weeks with the water parameters.
I thought my tank was already cycled. We had rosy reds in there for about 3 weeks before we got the axolotl. Then all of sudden after a 20% change the water got cloudy. We've had him for about week now. His gills are a little curled but he has a wonderful appetite. He's being tubbed now. We put him in the tub around 6pm. When should we change his water? We did do a 50% change this time because the coudyness got worse through the day. Now the parameters are fine. I'm just nervous tubbing him.... I'm so freaking out.

Tavv

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of Cthulhu.

Attachments

• 20171015_123656.jpg
    20171015_123656.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 20171015_123633.jpg
    20171015_123633.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 188
  • 20171015_123641.jpg
    20171015_123641.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 187

Sufia

Reaction score
This may be stating the obvious but are those blinds behind the tank always closed? I'm hazarding a guess whether this cloudiness is a result of white algae?

How are the water parameters now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!