Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Driftwood in Axolotl tank? Also Lunar Lights?

amb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've recently become fascinated with axolotls and decided to set up an extra 20 gallon long tank for some axie friends. The tank is currently cycling. Don't worry, I'm no beginner to aquaria and I'm being responsible with this endeavor by reading as much literature on these salamanders as possible. This forum has been tremendously beneficial. :D

Anyway, looking at all the axolotl tank set ups on this forum I noticed that there is never (or rarely) any driftwood in the aquarium. Any particular reason? Are you afraid it might lower the pH?

Also I have a pair of Current Lunar Lights for my community tank and was wondering if it would be ok to get some for my new axolotl tank? I really like the cool night time effect and I figured it would be fine because the light is not over powering.

tran

Reaction score
Hrm, interesting point that not too many people use driftwood. Myself, I have 5 pieces (4 large, 1 medium) in only 2 axolotl tanks. I don't see it lowering the pH (from leaking tannins) a noticeable amount. Maybe because I have hard water to buffer?

Anyway if you soak the driftwood for a week in warm water and change the water daily. At the end you should see the water is more or less colorless and so you can safely assume the leaking of tannins is going on at a very slow rate. If not, soak some more ;)

In my experience it's safe to use and nothing beats the aesthetics of driftwood with plants growing out of it in my opinion. It's an instant centerpiece.

As for lunar lights, I have no experience but I know some people here use it. So perhaps they will comment on it.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
As long as it is not cedar, pine or oak, driftwood is not really an issue when prepared as described above.

Personally I use poplar, cottonwood, and aspen driftwood in my tanks without issue.

amb

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I found a really cool piece over the weekend and it's been soaking since sunday night. Can't wait to put it in and finish my tank! I'm sure I'll post pictures. :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1